Any black clay substrates still made (other than Flourite)? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Any black clay substrates still made (other than Flourite)?

Both Soilmaster Select Charcoal and Turface Pro League Gray seem to have been discontinued.

Is there any alternative to Flourite now if you want a black clay substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Giving this one bump. Anyone?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CaribSea, that's what I used....black cost a little more than the reddish so I used the reddish colored substrate as a base and Caribsea black for the top layer...hope that helps!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia is a really dark brown. Azoo Plant Grower dark is a little lighter.

The other substrates aren't really clay per se. Eco complete, black Fluorite, and CaribSea Flora Max black are pretty black but are inert.

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the suggestions!

Inert is preferred, as long as it has a high CEC. The Floramax looks nice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Algae Grower

The CaribSea black also has red bits in it too, the one and only thing I wasn't totally happy with. Oh and a pain to rinse! If you try the floramax I'd like to know how it is!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

I have the flora max midnight. It's not bad I guess. It does have some red specks in it which I actually like. The grain size is larger than I wanted though. But it was available at one of the big chains and it is relatively inexpensive compared to other options.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah, yeah...go ahead and call me a dolt LOL! I had to pick up another bag and realized that's what I use...sheesh. I wouldn't remember the name if it bit me haha.

I LOVE it, it's a serious pain to rinse, but I think it's worth the effort. My plants have some serious growth on them (plus the CO2). I found that using two buckets and a screen strainer make it relatively quick and easy to rinse (just found that out today...after an hour+ with a single bucket last time :p )
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Why are you guys rinsing it? I put it in 5 different tanks over a year ago and its fine. Flora max has different grian sizes. Some bags are big, the newer ones are smaller grained. They dont specify size anywhere that ive seen. My Flora max bags looked exactly like Eco except they werent wet.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just discovered that my first bag of Soilmaster Select was actually quartz, with a thin black coating; like 3M Colorquartz.

My second bag of SMS is calcined clay, which is what it's supposed to be. But it's much smaller than the stuff from the first bag, and way too small for my tastes.

Since I've apparently been using Colorquartz for years with success, I'm open to the possibility of getting more of that. But now I read that 3M Colorquartz is also discontinued. What the heck is up with all these discontinued products in just a few years?

So, new question. Does anyone made a readily available product similar to 3M Colorquartz?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Why are you guys rinsing it? I put it in 5 different tanks over a year ago and its fine. Flora max has different grian sizes. Some bags are big, the newer ones are smaller grained. They dont specify size anywhere that ive seen. My Flora max bags looked exactly like Eco except they werent wet.

I rinse because of the severe cloudiness and free particles in the water...but then again I'm impatient LOL! This last bag was added to an existing set up and I didn't feel like turning the water muddy brown for two days. I know if I'm patient I can put it right in, and I do worry about the substrate losing some of it's goodness by rinsing it.

The 3m Colorquartz was new to me so I'm bummed to have missed it!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
I just discovered that my first bag of Soilmaster Select was actually quartz, with a thin black coating; like 3M Colorquartz.

My second bag of SMS is calcined clay, which is what it's supposed to be. But it's much smaller than the stuff from the first bag, and way too small for my tastes.

Since I've apparently been using Colorquartz for years with success, I'm open to the possibility of getting more of that. But now I read that 3M Colorquartz is also discontinued. What the heck is up with all these discontinued products in just a few years?

So, new question. Does anyone made a readily available product similar to 3M Colorquartz?
http://www.permacolorquartz.com/pool.html
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

Aquarium plants.com

Try the substrate here. It is black, inert and easy to use. Comes in a five gallon bucket

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode