How much Turface? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
How much Turface?

I am getting ready to start my new tank as everything is coming together. I am wondering how much turface should I buy. My tank is 60"x18x20. With turface being so light, does this mean it will take less substrate to fill?

I remember seeing somebodys thread, that showed they only used 2 50lbs bags for their 100 gallon. If you go by the standard rule that would only be 1" but they said it was almost 3".

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Lets see, I have a 29 gallon (30x12) tank I used Turface in, with 2" in the front sloping to 4" in the back. I used a little less than half of the 50lb bag I bought. It went WAY further than I thought it would.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ok I will pick up two bags. The tank is technically 92 gallons. I just thought it went farther than most. Thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Same findings here, a 50# bag is quite large in size, I used maybe 15-20# for my 20T with 3" of substrate depth.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used a 1 50lb bag in my 120,4x2x2 2'' in front and 3'' in the back.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Don't forget to rinse ;-)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question for you people using Turface, Do you like it? Why?

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Yes, I like Turface a lot. Mainly due to the price. I paid $15 for a 50lb bag but only used half of that for my 29 gallon, so roughly $8 for substrate. Plants root very well in it as well. It does take some work until roots are established, because it isn't extremely dense, but that would be made easier if I simply purchased some planting tweezers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
Yes, I like Turface a lot. Mainly due to the price. I paid $15 for a 50lb bag but only used half of that for my 29 gallon, so roughly $8 for substrate. Plants root very well in it as well. It does take some work until roots are established, because it isn't extremely dense, but that would be made easier if I simply purchased some planting tweezers.
It is cheap, the color is not soooo bad, if you get the tan it looks somewhat natural. Every time I have had to pull plants, I get really healthy roots. Just no nutrients outta the bag I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
High CEC, so once you get going on the ferts the substrate sequesters some of it for later.

I used a 50 lb bag for my 125, 6' x 18". I had a couple of bags of EC in there, too and ended up with about 2" deep substrate.

Dampen it so you are not breathing the dust.
Set up your hills and valleys. It will not hold slopes without a retaining wall (rock, driftwood). Dampen it until the water shows in the lowest spots. Barely.
Plant. Mist that plants as you go.
Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate.
Pour the water in slowly over the plate, allowing the water to seep into the substrate.

This is the best way for the least clouding.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never used Turface, but would a product like this work? Was thinking one could use a plastic drink lid to DYI it.

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just used tweezers to shove the plants in. I had a hella time until I watched this aquascaping video which showed a guy wiggling while shoving the stems in at an angle, then releasing. Sounds like a no brainer, but till then it was a full time job replanting them

Even crypts, I shove them down a bit, even the rhizome, and once the roots hold, I pull them up a tad bit.

I would think that those planter things would make it a dirty rescape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode