Miracle grow organic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Miracle grow organic

Is it just a bunch of sticks/mulch? Is that what we're supposed to use. I apologize. I'm sure this question has been asked before.

Edit: here is what it looked like, but I swear it had more wood in it. Maybe it was because it was at the top of the bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- three years old at this point

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired

Last edited by Reginald2; 04-01-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My bag looked like a bunch of mulch and sticks ig not much dirt. I'm not sure how to make that much clearer.

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pretty clear to me Mine had some sticks, not what I would call alot though. The rest seems kind of like finely ground mulch maybe, but ground to the point of it being a dirt consistency. Only seemed like it was mulch because it more light and airy than soil. I haven't used it yet though. Dreading tearing everything apart to start over.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sounds about like mine, most of it seems to be dime-sized. I would say that 80% or so is wood-looking material. I've used dirt before, but screened it beforehand. This time I just threw it in. We'll see.

I put of re-doing this tank for a long time. It's pretty much a pain, not going to lie.

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good luck. Hope it does well for ya

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald2 View Post
That sounds about like mine, most of it seems to be dime-sized. I would say that 80% or so is wood-looking material. I've used dirt before, but screened it beforehand. This time I just threw it in. We'll see.

I put of re-doing this tank for a long time. It's pretty much a pain, not going to lie.
Yep that's what mine looked like too.

It's why you for sure need to use something to cap it, to hold it down.

You'll still get some floaters and net that out for a day or two, but after that I never see any floating any more.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald2 View Post
My bag looked like a bunch of mulch and sticks ig not much dirt. I'm not sure how to make that much clearer.
Well, that's not what you wrote in the OP.

But yeah it's not a processed potting soil so it's kind of raw, so-to-speak. Cap it off with some sand and you'll be fine.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I might use this when I redo my 10 gallon, how thick of a cap should one use?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
I might use this when I redo my 10 gallon, how thick of a cap should one use?
soil should be 1" to 1 1/2" max and with sand as a cap I think 1/2" to 1" but not sure as I used Flourite original both times, at 1 1/2" thick on the cap and the second tank 1/2" sand and 1" Flourite.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Kamikazi I can't say about the cap, but I've got about 3/4 of an inch of eco-complete on top. Hopefully that'll work out.

Thanks loop and laural for the input. I got a little nervous the next day and wondered if I had already messed up.

I wonder how long it takes for much to break down underwater.

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is a little fun something extra that apparently came with the dirt. YouTube video

The haze is eco-complete settling. Does this mean I need more cap?

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Hey- free fish food!

My tank was hazy for a few days- I think the MG triggers a bacteria bloom?

Haven't had any issues with cloudy water past the first few days, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
It worked great for me. I just took out the larger sticks. I laid down abount an inch (wet) and put about 2-3 inches of EC on top. I had a little bit of tanin leach into the water. After two water changes my water is crystal clear and all of my water perameters are well within check. Hopefully I'll be able to see the benefits of the MG once my larger palnts get some good root structure to that depth......Or is MG just good for keeping the pH lower then what it would be without it?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein-
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

I like MG... Well I liked it until the 1st time I pulled something out of my tank...
Now I'm not such a big fan of the Miracle Grow...

If you want to see what happens when you rescape look at the last post/pics on my Finnex Thread

If you disturb the cap at all you will get A LOT of floaty crap coming up.

It's a pain in the you know what to try and pick all of that junk out because it seems to find ways to squirt out of the net or out of your fingers..

SJ

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode