Advice on "Redoing" Tank/Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Advice on "Redoing" Tank/Substrate

I'm planning on changing to a soil substrate soon, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to leave the lights off, or atleast reduce the photo period for the first few days until the new plants have a chance to recoupe and establish themselves after the change? My thoughts were that this would help to avoid alot of algea in the beginning since the plants will likely be less able to use the light/nutrients when first planted, but I'm not sure if they will really be establishing their roots too much without the light either. Even with the lights off, there would still be slight indirect lighting from windows in the room, and the normal living room lights being on, but probably not enough of either to make much of a difference here. What do you guys/gals think? Should I keep it dark or reduce lighting for a while, or it's not going to make any difference?

Last edited by Loop; 03-28-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
i recently switched to mineralized topsoil, and also did a 100 percent water change (green water algae bloom, did not want to fight that from the beginning. i had no ammonia spike, all my fish survived. also, i keep my lights on the same photo period and all of my plants have been doing great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock1337 View Post
i recently switched to mineralized topsoil, and also did a 100 percent water change (green water algae bloom, did not want to fight that from the beginning. i had no ammonia spike, all my fish survived. also, i keep my lights on the same photo period and all of my plants have been doing great.
Are you saying you got an algae bloom, and then did a 100% water change and it stopped it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the algae bloom happened before switching substrates. i did not keep any water when doing this because i did not want to have to fight it after making the switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh, don;t know exactly about this, but i think doing regular soil will give off ammonia. i know mineralizing the soil helps to stop that from happening. just an fyi in case you have fish...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do have fish. I was also thinking to let the soil sit submerged in a bucket for about a week, changing the water everyday to reduce the amount of ammonia that came out in the tank. I was hoping between doing that, using my current canister filter media, and being heavily planted at the start, that it's not to hard on the fish. Funny thing is it will be about 1/2 MG Organic Mix and 1/2 MTS. I originally started to do MTS but the soil reduced so much and then a storm came through and blew/washed away alot of my soil, so I didn't have enough. I was ticked off, and didn't feel like making another batch, so I thought I'd switch to the MG. I didn't want to waste the MTS I had already cycled 4-5 times, so I mixed the two together so hopefully it works out well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

do you have the potash, dolomite, and clay? if so, i'd throw that in there also as per the mts instructions to add more nutrients to the mix.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got some potash and dolomite on the way from another member here. I'm going to get some clay from an art supply store this week. I also thought it would be good to add those even with it being mixed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

if you start a journal, link to it here so i can subscribe to it, i would like to watch your progress.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK. I thought I might start one. The last few months has been my first experience with plants, and right now the tank is full of plants that I just stuck in randomly to keep them alive. I wanted to try my hand at something that atleast started with a plan, so I've been collecting stuff for the transition. Probably would be a good time to start the journal. This will actually be kind of an experimental trial run though. I'm actually moving around the beginning of June, so I'll get to learn from any mistakes and then start all over again 2 months later. Yaaaayyyy for me!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock1337 View Post
if you start a journal, link to it here so i can subscribe to it, i would like to watch your progress.
Here is that link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...x-journal.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode