PTrader: (0/0%)
All-activated-carbon substrate

Has anyone dared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
I wouldn't think it would be more than a very expensive regular black gravel. I don't think the plants could use that form of Carbon, and the filtering properties of the Carbon would all too soon be gone.
Would rather use the money towards flourite or some crazy expensive aquascaping soil that I have no idea about.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's something I certainly had considered, not for filtering properties but as it could perhaps work as an interesting substrate.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Meh I'd rather use sand, looks much better and my corys and loaches love it.
To every one their own I suppose.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It might even work to let it soak a while in a fertilizer solution until the carbon is saturated with trace nutrients. Then the plant roots might even be able to absorb some of those nutrients directly from the carbon as their roots penetrate the granules and if the carbon leaches any of the nutrients slowly. Let us know how it goes if you try it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Have you ever accidentally spilled carbon into your tank? The water gets so dirty from the littlest bit I wouldn't ever even consider doing anything even remotely resembling this. I use fluorite black, looks the same and works even better.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It is too light. The slightest screw up and it is everywhere.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I considered carbon because there is a known phenomenon in the terrestrial gardening world called "Terra Preta". Ancient Amazonians would create pits of charcoal and these pits would become literal oases amidst an otherwise nutrient deficient soil. The reason is that the amazon gets so much rain that all the organic material and nutrients wash away, but the areas with the charcoal sequester everything. If we are talking about CEC levels, nothing matches activated carbon. As already mentioned, if the carbon were allowed to absorb all the necessary nutrients through a soak, it would last indefinitely as a substrate.

I guess the other problem though is the price and also, as it seems others have already tried it, it is really lightweight.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takadi View Post
I considered carbon because there is a known phenomenon in the terrestrial gardening world called "Terra Preta". Ancient Amazonians would create pits of charcoal and these pits would become literal oases amidst an otherwise nutrient deficient soil. The reason is that the amazon gets so much rain that all the organic material and nutrients wash away, but the areas with the charcoal sequester everything. If we are talking about CEC levels, nothing matches activated carbon. As already mentioned, if the carbon were allowed to absorb all the necessary nutrients through a soak, it would last indefinitely as a substrate.

I guess the other problem though is the price and also, as it seems others have already tried it, it is really lightweight.
Very interesting. Maybe if you put the carbon down as a base layer and then capped it with sand or fluorite the weight wouldn't be such a problem.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It would be easy to test. Make a hole in your current substrate, fill the hole with nutrient soaked carbon and then plant a cryptocoryne in there and compare the growth rate to a crypt elseswhere in the same aquarium.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, it's way too light. Your plants wouldn't stay down.
And there too many fine particles. It'll make a mess. It'll wind on top of the substrate eventually.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK if you really want to test this use a pot and put the carbon in a rice bag cap it and plant with plant, then set it buy other plant in your tank if it dose not work you just take pot and plant out and nothing is disturbed

Last edited by gene4christ; 03-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode