Landen Aquasoil... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sam the Slayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Landen Aquasoil...

Hey there folks, curious to know if anyone out there has any experience with Landen aquasoils. Got a batch off of Amazon a few months ago that I used to set up a new shrimp tank. It seems to do its job and has facilitated some nice growth for my plants I noticed that in spite of it being advertised as an buffering soil that my pH remains fairly high. Tank is sitting at about 7.3 pH, 7 gh, 3 kh. Those perimeters don't feel right, especially given that they are basically exactly the same as the rest of my tanks on inactive soil. Is it possible I got a bad batch?

Like I stated earlier it seems fine otherwise and there seems to be something going on with it because I had a huge explosion of algae and lots of green goodies in the tank while cycling that never really happened in my other tanks. Just mildly disappointed because I am using that tank to try my hand at Caridina shrimp and was hoping for something a bit closer to their preferred perimeters. Though they seem to not mind too much either way so I'm not too beat up about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 03:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That is weird to have that ph. I’ve been using it for about 7/8 months. Remineralized ro water with 0 kh added and 4gh. Ph started at about 5.4 and eventually settled at 6.2 about two months in. You’ll want to make sure that if you’re using active soil to avoid adding kh (the active soil acts as kh holding the ph stable) because it shortens the life span of the buffering ability. Is your source water tap water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, my source water is indeed tap. Wanted to try to keep things as simple as possible for my tanks. My understanding of buffering soils is that they should be moving kh down and with it also moving down pH but so far no luck there. I don't add anything to the water outside of some prime after every water change since I do use tap. I noticed in an old post that a member mentioned that some of the batches are inconsistent and buffering can be difficult if there isn't enough of the soil in the water (I have it in a 10 gallon tank). The Caridina I have in there so far seem happy enough so like I said I'm not overly concerned but was just curious what other peoples' experiences were with this product.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Regarding KH, think of active soil‘s as a sponge, there is only so much room for it to hold. You may have a bad batch. You may have just absorbed all of the Kh it can handle so now it’s just normal tapwater in there.

IKeepShrimp likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 12:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I concur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Slayer View Post
Regarding KH, think of active soil‘s as a sponge, there is only so much room for it to hold. You may have a bad batch. You may have just absorbed all of the Kh it can handle so now it’s just normal tapwater in there.

I concur. It is CEC or Cation Exchange CAPACITY. Meaning it has it's limitations of how much it can hold. I use 4 gallons RO to 1 gallon of my (hard) tap water or RO with GH booster up to around 5-7.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode