Black Diamond Substrate - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
A different substrate (i.e. something made specifically for aquarium use) would likely be much less sharp because of the purpose of the product. IME, you pay more for something like CaribSea's Super Natural Crystal River sand for the uniformity of the product and the smoothness of it. I believe 100% that using the CaribSea stuff would not have damaged the barbels on the cories. I can't say that about BDBS, but as we have already seen, YMMV.
Only one way to know for sure and avoid conjecture.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
fishie777 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The only way you know for sure is to do a scientific study with a control group. One of the big issues is this is all anecdotal. Just because you have a tank with BDBS and don't have any issues that doesn't mean that it can't cause problems. Likewise, if you're having problems that doesn't mean the BDBS is causing it.
If you think that spending more on a product made specifically for the aquarium is a safeguard you need to read up on Caribsea's Tahitian Moonsand. They killed lots of livestock with that stuff.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The problem I found with Black Diamond Black Sand is it can be very difficult to tell what you are actually getting. I ordered the "coarse" from Tractor Supply and they sent me bags of what appear to be fine dust and not what people show in their tanks. While the bag itself had checkboxes for checking the grit/nozzle size, none of them were checked, so Black Diamond itself does not bother writing or indicating on their bags what grit their product is. I took them back and they said that is the only bag made now, that they used to have red and black but just one of them now. It was confusing and you'll notice in a lot of posts people complain of weeks of clouding after using Black Diamond probably due to getting the wrong grit. I decided not to take a chance and went with Seachem Black Sand and have not looked back. Despite the $150, I like the peace of mind of knowing what I got. I'm glad some folks figured it out and got it to work for them, but not worth the risk IMO.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think it is whatever works for you and whatever you are comfortable with. We all try different things and what may work for one person may be a disaster for someone else. I'm going to post another post for the activ-flora I went with FYI: My Black Diamond had a check mark under two different grades and both were faded. Don't think it was fine, but didn't matter in the long run. Thanks for all the feedback.
varanidguy likes this.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Only one way to know for sure and avoid conjecture.
Like I said, YMMV. All I can speak to is my own experience with the substrate I used. I know I would never use it again if I decided to get more cories or other bottom-dwelling fish. Main reason being that cost is not so much of a factor as it used to be back then, especially given the size of my current tanks (10g and 45g).
varanidguy likes this.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
Like I said, YMMV. All I can speak to is my own experience with the substrate I used. I know I would never use it again if I decided to get more cories or other bottom-dwelling fish. Main reason being that cost is not so much of a factor as it used to be back then, especially given the size of my current tanks (10g and 45g).
One of my smaller tanks has the Caribsea super naturals sand and I really like it. It's very soft and fine. Cories would probably love it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
fishie777 likes this.

|
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post

If you had your heart set on black sand, you can see if Petco's offering would work for you: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...isting_Ads-_-0
I'm using this stuff in my little nano and a grow out tank and it's growing crypts beautifully. The grain size is perfect. Crypt Parva in my nano. Look Ma no root tabs.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie777 View Post
Has anyone ever had metal bits in this? I opened my first bag, took a magnet to it and there are very tiny metal pellets coming out of it. Does that mean this bag isn't safe to use, or I just sit here for hours taking the metal out with a magnet? The picture is a paper towel with the bits picked up with a magnet in the first cup out of the bag. The 2nd pic is a magnet up close with the pieces which were sifted through twice and still magnetized. Thank you
There is similar black blasting sand containing about 30% iron, it is the byproduct from copper smelting.

Make sure it is the diamond blasting sand, it is Silicon carbide(SiC), and make from different process.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 11-14-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode