Some years ago, I had a few fish tanks with BDBS as a substrate. In one tank, I added a few Corydoras Sterbai. I had been using BDBS as a substrate for months before introducing the cories. I remember that when I was rinsing it (which took a long time), some sharper bits would get caught under my nails. It was not a very uniform substrate either - there were quite a few pieces that looked like 3-5mm long pieces of mechanical pencil lead.
Anyway, the cories initially had nice barbels. It took a few months, but eventually the barbels were worn down. The fish were fine, weren't behaving any differently, but in my experience the substrate was/is sharp enough to do some damage.
In another tank, I had the BDBS mixed in with some fine grained pool sand, and started a small colony of shell-dwelling cichlids. These cichlids like to dig out the areas around the shells they inhabit, and after a little while I noticed that they developed a dark "stain" around their faces, likely because the BDBS had not been rinsed thoroughly enough. I was rinsing maybe a half gallon of the BDBS at a time, with multiple rinse and drain cycles, and apparently that still wasn't enough.
I don't have it in my tanks today. I would likely still use it if I needed a cost-effective solution - but only in tanks with top-dwelling/top-feeding fish only.