Stratum KH/PH - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie777 View Post
I would put my eco complete back in but that defeats the purpose of looking for a smoother substrate.
If you like the dark look, and want a super smooth, easy to plant into substrate that costs less than $20, look into coal slag (black blasting sand).

If you want stability using your tapwater, this is a good option for you.
varanidguy likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was looking at that, just can't leave the house and didn't want to order a 50# bag. That's my only glitch.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I was looking at that, just can't leave the house and didn't want to order a 50# bag. That's my only glitch.
Check local aquarium groups, classified sections etc. Sometimes people get rid of it with an old tank or something.

50lb bags are a bit of a pain for smaller tanks but... sandblasting industry vs aquaria industry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will do. Thanks
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Blasting sand: I think I found it at tractor supply. Is this the medium blasting? Do I need to add root tabs immediately? I do have some micro grass and stem plants, but mainly bucs and anubias. Thanks
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Blasting sand: I think I found it at tractor supply. Is this the medium blasting? Do I need to add root tabs immediately? I do have some micro grass and stem plants, but mainly bucs and anubias. Thanks

Thatís the stuff. In the states the brand most people use is Black Diamond Blasting sand in the medium grit. Give it a good rinse in a bucket first.

No root tabs needed at all, just a good quality water column dosing regime is all you need, especially for buce and anubias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
varanidguy and fishie777 like this.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, in reading and reading (multiply by 100), I get so many different stories. I've really come to the conclusion better to work with my water. Don't get me wrong, if I had space for an RO, I'd get it.
In my low tech tank I need to see how to use my water. As a note; I had eco complete in my tank for 14 months. Cons: too sharp for me. My plants melted, even Crypts (no, never came back). Not one stem ever grew roots. I did have a wisteria which lasted six months. I assumed it was my water hardness. Now I'm wondering if it's the fact that I never added nutrients until the year mark. I was told not to.
Learning experience: Just because a company tells you something, doesn't mean it's true.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Wow, in reading and reading (multiply by 100), I get so many different stories. I've really come to the conclusion better to work with my water. Don't get me wrong, if I had space for an RO, I'd get it.

In my low tech tank I need to see how to use my water. As a note; I had eco complete in my tank for 14 months. Cons: too sharp for me. My plants melted, even Crypts (no, never came back). Not one stem ever grew roots. I did have a wisteria which lasted six months. I assumed it was my water hardness. Now I'm wondering if it's the fact that I never added nutrients until the year mark. I was told not to.

Learning experience: Just because a company tells you something, doesn't mean it's true.
That's 100% because of a lack of nutrients. Some people suggest letting fish poop essentially compost and feed your plants in coarser substrate like that, but I don't think that's really an optimal way to do it.

Is it doable? Absolutely. But it takes a long time to do it properly as the nutrients need to build up over time. I'm a fan of fertilization because it's proven to work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Quagulator and fishie777 like this.

|
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I started this process 14 months ago I would call the companies who made the products and ask their suggestions. Amazing how wrong the advice was. My head has been spinning on this. It's worse than politics, what's right and what's wrong. I grow a lot of houseplants and I know they cannot live without some type of nutrients. I feel more confident now because all along I thought it was my water, not nutrient related.
Okay, so I'm going to get the black diamond tonight, wash like crazy. Biggest question: I already changed the substrate once to stratum, now to black diamond, will my tank have to recycle? Other than plants, nothing else in there for 3 weeks. I put some water from my nerite tank in it today. I did not change the filters out. Thought about going out to get another nerite for the tank but don't want to kill it. Any thoughts?
varanidguy likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ph/gh/kh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Strutum is designed to strip the water of KH and lower pH into the mid 6's.

Best used with GH boosted RO water only.

You can continue to do water changes until the buffering capability of the substrate is full, and can no longer strip anymore KH.

Crushed coral would work directly against the substrate, but would speed up the process of overcoming the buffering capability of the substrate.

Test tapwater pH after it has sat out in a glass / bowl exposed to the air for at least 24 hours, that will be the tapwaters true pH reading.
I let the tap water sit in an open container, numbers pretty consistent, KH 4 GH 8 and PH 8
Quagulator and varanidguy like this.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
When I started this process 14 months ago I would call the companies who made the products and ask their suggestions. Amazing how wrong the advice was. My head has been spinning on this. It's worse than politics, what's right and what's wrong. I grow a lot of houseplants and I know they cannot live without some type of nutrients. I feel more confident now because all along I thought it was my water, not nutrient related.

Okay, so I'm going to get the black diamond tonight, wash like crazy. Biggest question: I already changed the substrate once to stratum, now to black diamond, will my tank have to recycle? Other than plants, nothing else in there for 3 weeks. I put some water from my nerite tank in it today. I did not change the filters out. Thought about going out to get another nerite for the tank but don't want to kill it. Any thoughts?
If you have a cycled filter with sponges, squeeze a dirty sponge into the tank. The layer of scunge left on the bottom of the tank will help too.

Using only water from an established tank won't do much as most of the bacteria lives on surfaces rather than in the water column.

|
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
If you have a cycled filter with sponges, squeeze a dirty sponge into the tank. The layer of scunge left on the bottom of the tank will help too.

Using only water from an established tank won't do much as most of the bacteria lives on surfaces rather than in the water column.

Okay, I am also setting up a 5 gallon to put one of my nerites in. He's in a planted 3 gallon now. I've got his future filter with the old media running in the 10 gallon, with the old filter (both HOB) and a sponge filter in the 10 gal tank. Just trying to build some bacteria. I put some Tetra SafeStart plus in there, but without fish/snails doubt there will be enough ammonia for it. I hear people talk about adding ammonia but not sure on that.
THANKS
varanidguy likes this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Okay, I am also setting up a 5 gallon to put one of my nerites in. He's in a planted 3 gallon now. I've got his future filter with the old media running in the 10 gallon, with the old filter (both HOB) and a sponge filter in the 10 gal tank. Just trying to build some bacteria. I put some Tetra SafeStart plus in there, but without fish/snails doubt there will be enough ammonia for it. I hear people talk about adding ammonia but not sure on that.

THANKS
I've done the add ammonia method. It works. Just make sure it's pure ammonia without scent or soap.

|
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I've done the add ammonia method. It works. Just make sure it's pure ammonia without scent or soap.

In the "old" days we used to add a pellet of food. Is that old school? I bought pure ammonia just need to read how much to use.
Thanks
varanidguy likes this.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
In the "old" days we used to add a pellet of food. Is that old school? I bought pure ammonia just need to read how much to use.

Thanks
No problem! Adding food to decay and create ammonia is still a common method too.

Quagulator and fishie777 like this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode