Controsoil or Amazonia for DHG - what grain size? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Controsoil or Amazonia for DHG - what grain size?

So I am carpeting basically a whole 60 gallon. I am familiar with plants and aquasoil but new to trying to carpet an entire tank.

I am going to carpet 80% of the tank with DHG.

My initial plan was to use 3 10L bags of Normal Brown Controsoil mixed with 2 10 bags of Fine Controsoil.

But Amazonia keeps creeping back into my mind. There are no grain size besides powder and normal. Trying to avoid powder Amazonia or Extra Fine Controsoil as it seems messy.

So I guess what Iím asking is will Amazonia V2 or regular have adequate grain size for DHG or is my Controsoil mixture ideal.

Thought about an entire tank of fine grade Controsoil but worried it may break down faster than Normal size.

Tank will be dosed eventually and have co2. Just trying to get the best conditions for success without the tank turning to mush. All options will cost the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

when it comes to DHG, do a dry start, otherwise its a night mare to keep the grass in the soil for the first few weeks. The normal size Amazonia will work well.

-Preeths
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

I use the controsoil (normal size) and have had zero problems with it other than it being kind of soft. I also have a carpet of DHG and Narrow Leaf Micro Sword and flooded on the same day as planting. A huge tip is to slightly moisten the soil with a spray bottle while planting. If you plant the DHG pretty deep and fill the tank slowly you shouldn't have any problems with plants floating. This is not to say that the dry start is not effective, but it is not the only way to start the carpet! I have done DSM in the past and the results are good, but you have to wait for the dry start and then wait for the tank to cycle. If you do the dry start make sure you provide plenty of CO2 and fertilizer once you flood the tank as the hairgrass transitions to submerged conditions.

-AM

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm424 View Post
I use the controsoil (normal size) and have had zero problems with it other than it being kind of soft. I also have a carpet of DHG and Narrow Leaf Micro Sword and flooded on the same day as planting. A huge tip is to slightly moisten the soil with a spray bottle while planting. If you plant the DHG pretty deep and fill the tank slowly you shouldn't have any problems with plants floating. This is not to say that the dry start is not effective, but it is not the only way to start the carpet! I have done DSM in the past and the results are good, but you have to wait for the dry start and then wait for the tank to cycle. If you do the dry start make sure you provide plenty of CO2 and fertilizer once you flood the tank as the hairgrass transitions to submerged conditions.

-AM
What do you mean soft? Like it’s turning to mush already?

FN33
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, sort of. It is easy to crush between fingers, but it is not breaking down on its own. Replanting stems hasn't broken it down, but it is easy to crush.

-AM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode