Dry start method question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry start method question

Hi everyone! I have a few questions about the dry start method;

1 - What should the humidity be? 70-80%? I was going to keep the setup covered with plastic wrap (with a few holes poked in the wrap) and spray the plants once a day in the morning
2 - I most often hear of this method with carpeting plants, but can I use it for other plants that can grow emersed, such as stem plants and mosses? I was thinking that I could get the plantings denser in the month or two before flooding the tank, and this would also give the plants time to root and the beneficial bacteria time to establish before the tank is flooded - all of which would make submergence less stressful for the plants (and make the tank less likely to get overrun with algae).
3 - Speaking of mosses, should I spray them with a light nutrient solution when misting them (inasmuch as mosses do not develop roots that could exploit the dirt layer)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
Hi everyone! I have a few questions about the dry start method;

1 - What should the humidity be? 70-80%? I was going to keep the setup covered with plastic wrap (with a few holes poked in the wrap) and spray the plants once a day in the morning

2 - I most often hear of this method with carpeting plants, but can I use it for other plants that can grow emersed, such as stem plants and mosses? I was thinking that I could get the plantings denser in the month or two before flooding the tank, and this would also give the plants time to root and the beneficial bacteria time to establish before the tank is flooded - all of which would make submergence less stressful for the plants (and make the tank less likely to get overrun with algae).

3 - Speaking of mosses, should I spray them with a light nutrient solution when misting them (inasmuch as mosses do not develop roots that could exploit the dirt layer)?

Thanks
You want roots where? Plan the plant frowth for a month from now and you will have all answered. Keep them always moist and hydrated. Theres no receipt on how much water, it dependes of how often the condensation, evaporation occurs.
Dry start method is good, leave all substrate wet till the top where the plants are coming out and check every single day if the water is down or if plants are dry. Humidity of 110% hahahahahahahahaha. However, depends on each tank. Since u will be flooding this tank, you want it always to have high humidity levels. Prepare a solution with water and the right ammounts of fertilizers for spraying but i wouldn't store it, i would do the right quantity i need for each day so it doesnt spoil.
Some plants are not prepared for this change so take really care on the species you are doing it.
Remember that u might have good co2 in your air. Atmospheric pressure is important when transitioning plants like this. Check your location geography.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode