UNS Controsoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am about to preorder a bunch of this stuff. I like how it’s lower in ammonia than Amazonia and has great reviews. I especially love it comes in black and won’t scratch my expensive acrylic tank.

But it’s very expensive for my 60 gallon, I’ll need about $300.00 worth. And very hard to get, UNS reps told me a new batch is coming mid September and then not for a while after that.

My question - Anyone use this and will it break down to mud? And how long? I’m fine with 3 years but 1 year isn’t worth the price IMO. I know I’ll have to eventually dose as nutrients run out but I’m most concerned about it turning to mush.

Any other input from anyone who uses it likes/dislikes and really aqua soils in general feel free to post!

FN33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

I currently have the Controsoil in my UNS 60U and it works really well for growing plants. I am planning to rescape in the next week or so from my first scape of the tank done in March. I am worried about it turning to mud just from rescaping. It seems pretty soft (after just 5 months), and it is very easy to crush between my fingers. I don't have long term experience with it so I can't comment on it maintaining its structure for long periods of time, but replanting and moving hardscape seems to break it down pretty easily. It is unfortunate because it works so well with the plants and it is expensive.

My advice would be go for it if you are dedicated to keeping the hardscape relatively static for a long period of time and you don't uproot and move plants too frequently. It really is a nice aquarium soil. If I can remember to I will update with the results of the rescape that will require removing the soil from the tank.

-AM
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm424 View Post
I currently have the Controsoil in my UNS 60U and it works really well for growing plants. I am planning to rescape in the next week or so from my first scape of the tank done in March. I am worried about it turning to mud just from rescaping. It seems pretty soft (after just 5 months), and it is very easy to crush between my fingers. I don't have long term experience with it so I can't comment on it maintaining its structure for long periods of time, but replanting and moving hardscape seems to break it down pretty easily. It is unfortunate because it works so well with the plants and it is expensive.

My advice would be go for it if you are dedicated to keeping the hardscape relatively static for a long period of time and you don't uproot and move plants too frequently. It really is a nice aquarium soil. If I can remember to I will update with the results of the rescape that will require removing the soil from the tank.

-AM
Nice thanks for the info. Do you have hard water or use RO going in? You confirmed a lot of my thoughts. I have tap that comes out at 8.0 and very hard I feel that’s going to speed up the breakdown quite a bit since it will be buffering it a lot.

I do actually plan to have a static scape. Goo luck with your rescape, I hear that’s a struggle with Controsoil. I love the look of it. Read that if you vacuum after moving stuff around and get up what breaks down and replace it, it works well. Replacing a little at a time wouldn’t break the bank.

I don’t mind going eco complete, don’t mind dosing, but don’t want the acrylic scratches. Maybe I’ll just do straight up gravel after all.

FN33

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnovice33 View Post
Nice thanks for the info. Do you have hard water or use RO going in?
I use RO remineralized with NilocG GH Booster. Best of luck with which ever substrate you decide to go with!

-AM

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode