Planted Betta Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Aryanasdad
  • 1 Post By Aryanasdad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Betta Substrate

I'm looking into moving my 10 gallon betta planted tank to a 20 gallon and would like some advice on substrate that is gentle on fins and decent for plants. The 10 gallon now has Spectrastone gravel, with a black coating. I want to be cautious of sharp, rough materials that could shred fins, my betta is young and swims along the top, bottom and sides of the tank, he's really active. The gravel has been ok, with root tabs and seachem flourish for swords water sprite, and rhizome plants of course, but I wanted to get more stems and variety at some point.

I was looking at eco complete, but it seems rough and have read it can increase GH,PH. I have 6.8-7.0 ph water so I don't really want to mess with that.

Has anyone had problems with fin wear and tear with flourite? I'm not familar with it. Or something else, or should I just keep using the gravel?

I'm new to this, and wish I had started years ago, I appreciate any advice you can send.

Last edited by DeepAsHadal; 07-27-2020 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added root tabs and nutrient dosing info with current tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepAsHadal View Post
I'm looking into moving my 10 gallon betta planted tank to a 20 gallon and would like some advice on substrate that is gentle on fins and decent for plants. The 10 gallon now has Spectrastone gravel, with a black coating. I want to be cautious of sharp, rough materials that could shred fins, my betta is young and swims along the top, bottom and sides of the tank, he's really active. The gravel has been ok, with root tabs and seachem flourish for swords water sprite, and rhizome plants of course, but I wanted to get more stems and variety at some point.

I was looking at eco complete, but it seems rough and have read it can increase GH,PH. I have 6.8-7.0 ph water so I don't really want to mess with that.

Has anyone had problems with fin wear and tear with flourite? I'm not familar with it. Or something else, or should I just keep using the gravel?

I'm new to this, and wish I had started years ago, I appreciate any advice you can send.
Im planning a mix with flourite (normal) and flourite black sand, but u can use peat (a lot of organic matter) or flourite clay. But remember to use fine substrate cause they can be harmed by the "pointed" gravel from flourite. Also, if you using a hard gravel type, u can't add bottom feeders cause they will be damaged by this substrate.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 PM

Hi there,

I’ve had success with the Dennerle’s scaper soil, which you can get on *the* major online store. It’s quality, and my plants THRIVED on it, with no ferts or CO2 for half a year. It does lower the pH some, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem since you have a betta. I haven’t experienced any problems with with my betta’s fins as far as the soil goes.
That’s the only scaper’s soil I’ve tried so far, so I don’t have much experience with other soils, but it has served me well.
Hope that helps! Best of wishes with your fish! 😁

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

I am currently using pool filter sand and im happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_221620_1595877767471.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	901477  

Discusluv and edustarling like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replies! I'm not looking to add more fish in the near future. victorusaconte - why are you opting to mix the flourite and flourite sand? Is it particle size or something else?

The Dennerle’s looks similar to eco complete with the porous volcanic material, except with an acid buffer in stead of an alkaline. It looks like it would be a great material for minerals and bacteria, but I don't want something that is going to alter my water parameters. I'm really new to aquariums and need as much predictability as possible.

I might look at sand too, would it require root tabs for plants?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

I personally use root tabs to make sure my stuff is getting the necessary nutrients
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Aryanasdad your tank is awesome!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

My 10g has a betta and Eco Complete. It has not affected water chemistry, nor did it when I last used it maybe 15 years ago. I love the black color. My betta is not having any fin issues from it, though he's not much of a bottom-crawler. The one thing I don't like is that it's tricky to plant stems in because the particles are a little big and light. Once I get the plants in they root well.

Tags
betta, planted, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode