Help regarding new planted tank substrate - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wasserpest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help regarding new planted tank substrate

Hello;

I have never kept a planted tank before but they always inspired me a lot. The main reason of it the availability of resources. Some mandatory things required for good planted tanks (as i've read on multiple forums) are not easily available in my country. Now, cutting the long story short, I'm planning to setup a planted tank and is in dire need of your expert opinions.

I have an approx. 50~55g (Width 38 x Depth 18 x Height 22 inches) slightly curved from front fish tank. I'm thinking of using following as a substrate. 1 ~ 1.5 inch of vermicompost capped by 1 ~ 1.5 inch of sugar sized black sand.

I'll be using following plants;
Vallisneria (Spiral is preferred but simple will also be fine)
Dwarf Sagittaria
Hygrophilia Sunset & Ludwigia Repens (Need suggestion / recommendation about these)
Water Wisteria or Guppy grass.

Now, the main reason of selecting these plants & substrate is the availability issue. I can do whatever is suggested, keeping in view the limitations of availability.

I can do "Dry start method".
Can cycle tank for weeks or even months without fish.
I will not disturb plants once rooted.
Will follow any other precautions as suggested.

Will it work ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hi Phantom,

Welcome to the Planted Tank!

A few thoughts after reading your post...

- Dry start is not needed or recommended with the plants you have listed. It is more commonly used for small finicky groundcovers which greatly benefit from the CO2 available in air, and the strong undispersed light. Don't overthink it.
- Cycling new tanks is a non-issue if you add a good amount of fast-growing plants from the start. Once they start to grow, they will gladly suck up any Nitrites and Ammonia. Just add fish slowly, over time. Not the whole school at once.
- Most likely you WILL disturb rooted plants. Planted Tanks are dynamic systems, and just pruning back plants works only for a while which means...
- You will disturb the substrate layers. Fine, heavy substrates (like sand) WILL tend to migrate down into fluffier, lighter substrates.
- Vermicompost sounds like a lot of organic matter. I would not recommend that for a new planted tanker. You will end up with loads of algae, and a sulfur-burping aquascape. I mean it's fine as a thin sprinkling, but Compost is very different from mineralized topsoil that is most commonly used.
Lincoln125 and Phantom_ws like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode