In over my head setting up new tank and cycling - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
In over my head setting up new tank and cycling

Hello,

I'm new to the hobby of having a planted tank that has anything more than a couple anubias in it. I recently bought a 7.5 gallon cube with the plan of turning it into a planted shrimp tank, but I think I may have botched things.

I ordered ADA power sand advance and ADA amazonia 2 soil. I laid down a layer or power sand with clear super and bacter100 following a guide I found, and added my amazonia 2 and did my hardscaping with dragon stone and some Malaysian driftwood. I am concerned I may have added too much substrate, the arrangement slopes towards the front so its about 2 cm deep there, at the back its closer to 5 or 6 there.

I am at this point totally lost as to how to properly cycle this tank, and at what stage in the process plants should be added.

I've read several guides that say no plants at all, as the ammonia will melt them, and then some that say they have to go in now at the start of the cycle. In the past I've used ammonia to fishless cycle, but I can't find a consistent guide as to whether this is needed or not.

So I know these are pretty broad questions, but when do I need to add my plants, and how do I cycle this tank? So far no plants or water added, only substrate and hardscape.

Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

Iíve recently set my first planted tank up, 3 weeks in, all going well with good growth & not much algae and water parameters are probably one more week from being clear of ammonia, already have zero phosphates and nitrate etc, just ammonia to go.

As for cycling I went all in, 50% water change every other day for the first week, then went down to about 25% every 3 days & now 25% twice a week. Others will probably say different but thatís how I did mine & itís worked well so far. I didnít start fertiliser till week 2 and at half dose, I use a weekly dosing fert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Did you add ammonia? And did you put your plants in before you started?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 AM
Algae Grower

Worth reading through this thread perhaps....

Foolproof Method for Cycling ADA Aquasoil Amazonia? https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s....php?t=1147569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedc200177 View Post
Did you add ammonia?
Hopefully not if using Amazonia soil! The soil will leach more than enough ammonia into water, no need to add more. Frequent water changes in the first month are the key to keep ammonia level under control whilst tank cycles.

Also keep an eye on pH level, especially if using soft or RO water with low/no KH. Amazonia soil will tend to drop pH to below 6 which slows down cycling.

Cycling with Amazonia soil is quite different to cycling a tank with inert substrate. Don't follow any general cycling guide, follow a guide specific to this kind of substrate.

How this helps....
James
peevo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-12-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 08:01 AM
Algae Grower

I didnít add anything beforehand, I used Tropicaís aquarium soil only, I started a tank journal on here with everything on, itís called ďDennerle 30L cubeĒ I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Worth reading through this thread perhaps....

Foolproof Method for Cycling ADA Aquasoil Amazonia? https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s....php?t=1147569
Having done plenty of aquasoil-based tanks this thread is right on. My only change would be to absolutely use carbon 1st month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help and link guys, am reading through that thread now

When you say use carbon, what are you referring to? What would the benefits of using RO water be?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-12-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode