2Likes
  • 1 Post By victorusaconte
  • 1 Post By mourip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding More Substrate?

Is there a best way to add more Fluval Stratum to a recently flooded and planted tank.

I realize that some of my background plants may not have been planted deeply enough as some of their roots are showing. These are swords and crypts.

Can I add more Stratum without making a mess or would it be best to just replant? They are not in a particularly accessible location.

When I setup my tank recently I chose to not wash the stratum per advice here and filled the tank very slowly. I had absolutely no turbidity. It was great. I would hate to make a mess now!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

From my experience, i washed the new substrate pretty good, left them in a bucket for 30min (or so), tested the water....(do your things for your specifically tank paramaters)

To start i removed about 35%-45% of water of my tank then I turned of my filter (no stress for the fish I guess) I get the new substrate and used a plastic cup to slowly drop them on some particulars areas and mixed as delicated as I could with a sharp plastic grabber. Some layers I left a new thick layer and propagated trimmed plants. I made possible to all snails and shrimps to run away from the cup before never see them again lol, but snails do survive.

However, my sword always had this segment of root system right at the bottom of its body, where the new leafs come from, and i still have to trim them and they are doing just fine. But I understand that it's not nice to see the roots from plants that looks nicer when growing from the ground by its own. I have shrimps and loaches living together so I leave it like that for them.

You can try plant weitghs, attach with aquarium plant glue, or simply hide with a rock or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
mourip likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
From my experience, i washed the new substrate pretty good, left them in a bucket for 30min (or so), tested the water....(do your things for your specifically tank paramaters)

To start i removed about 35%-45% of water of my tank then I turned of my filter (no stress for the fish I guess) I get the new substrate and used a plastic cup to slowly drop them on some particulars areas and mixed as delicated as I could with a sharp plastic grabber. Some layers I left a new thick layer and propagated trimmed plants. I made possible to all snails and shrimps to run away from the cup before never see them again lol, but snails do survive.

However, my sword always had this segment of root system right at the bottom of its body, where the new leafs come from, and i still have to trim them and they are doing just fine. But I understand that it's not nice to see the roots from plants that looks nicer when growing from the ground by its own. I have shrimps and loaches living together so I leave it like that for them.

You can try plant weitghs, attach with aquarium plant glue, or simply hide with a rock or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks! Luckily I do not have livestock in place yet. I am still cycling the tank and doing a bit of scaping to make the scene a bit more convincing by adding some gravel to match the local river rocks . I just want to build up the rear Stratum slope a bit more without risking clouding up the clear tank water.

Best,
Paul
victorusaconte likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found that I was easily able to add more Stratum by putting some in a cup and gently lowering it until it was under water. I could then pour the soil where I wanted with minimal clouding.

Disturbing the existing substrate was an entirely different matter. It makes a pretty good dust storm!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode