Aquasoil and Geos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquasoil and Geos

I'm about to do a major rescaping of my 65 gallon aquarium. I'll be using Amazonia Ver.2 aquasoil for the back half of the tank and sand for the front third with large elephant skin stone separating the two substrates. Since I have 6 geophagus tapajos, I was thinking of capping the aquasoil with either aquarium gravel or river rock to keep the geos from stirring up the aquasoil and to help anchor the new plants until they take root. I'm also hoping that by keeping the front half of the tank all sand (the entire tank is currently sand), the geos will limit their digging/sifting to the sanded area. Does this sound like a good approach? BTW, the geos are about two years old. The worst case scenario is they dig through the aquasoil, uproot the plants, and the tank is a murky mess. I'm hoping the coarse gravel or river pebbles will keep them away from the planted area at least long enough for the plants to anchor their roots and hold things in place so things are more manageable if/when they do decide to dig their. Ideally, they wouldn't dig there at all, but I'm not sure that is realistic.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Im not sure if this will work. It might- it might not. But, Im more inclined to say not.
One of the major reasons is that a 65 gallon is much too small for a group of 6 geophagus-- even the G. tapajos, which are smaller than the surinamensis group. They require a base of 70 inches to maintain a group-- if you have a standard 65 gallon, that is half the lenghth required. Not enough area for the fish to set up boundary markers between them. This will make for a very disturbed tank when they mature. They may be okay now as juveniles, but that wont last.

If you would like to still try, I would target feed by putting pellets on the sand. Dont feed flake which will float freely all around tank.
I would also put larger gravel on aquasoil. If it is too small they will still try to "sift" food in this substrate which can set caught in their gills and lead to secondary infection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's a custom elongated hexagon tank measuring 48"x18"x20", so more like the size of a 75 gallon.

I only feed sinking pellets, so no issues there.

Perhaps I could also put some sort of screen or mesh layer on top of the aquasoil with pebbles on top so if they did peck/dig the mesh would prevent them from ingesting the aquasoil.

Found these: https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Pe...323266&sr=8-13

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode