Moving from 30G to 57G - Carry over substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Moving from 30G to 57G - Carry over substrate?

I need some expert advice:

I just got back into the hobby last year (I had a lightly planted tank as a kid years ago). Last June I set up a CO2 injected 30 gallon x-high tank that's got decent plant growth.

I'm moving to 57 gallon (36" x 18" = 4.5 sq ft bottom) and I'm trying to decide if I should use my existing substrate Ecco complete black (about 9 months old) or switch to all new substrate. I've heard great stuff about Azoo and ADA, I've read up about ADA's methodology on building a planted tank and not sure if the Ecco complete in my system is the way to go.

My goal is to grow a carpet of HC or hair grass and Ecco complete particles seem too large to allow it to grow into a carpet.

My plan was to do the following:

3 bags of new Ecco Complete black, adding the existing Ecco complete with mulm (about 1 bag worth), and topping with Flourite black sand. for about 3 inches of substrate.

After reading a few threads on here, it seems that people like to use top soil capping it with hard substrate. I've had good luck growing everything like a weed just using ecco complete.

Should I:
  1. Switch to top soil capped by my exiting Ecco Complete?
  2. Top soil capped by Flourite black sand (finer for HC and hair grass)?
  3. Or go with my plan (above)?
  4. Toss my existing substrate and use Power sand and ADA Amazonia per instructions.
  5. Mix my existing Ecco Complete with http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss.htm. This is very inexpensive, and the reviews on their site say it's good stuff.

I don't want to cycle the tank again because I'm moving the fish shortly after I set up the new tank. I'm planning on setting up the new canister filter on the old tank for a week to seed it with bacteria. All the plants will go to the new tank as well.

Would the filter being seeded and the plants be enough or should I definitely move the Ecco Complete along with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know how to set up a tank, but moving from one tank to another - I'm not clear on the best way - is there a sticky?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A planted tank will make up for not moving the substrate (with its bacteria population).

If you do not want to cycle again, then skip any of the substrates that generate ammonia (ADA product line, some others).

How to move stuff to new tank:

1) Have new stuff ready. Tank rinsed, substrate ready to go...

2) Drain enough clean water from old tank into buckets or other containers to hold fish and plants. Separate buckets for plants and fish, and separate aggressive fish. Loaches separate from everyone else. Loaches can produce a slime coat that is toxic when they are stressed. Cover the fish buckets. Filter media into the new filter, or into 3-4 mesh bags.

3) Use the remaining water in the original tank to rinse filter media, rinse the substrate if you are going to save it.

4) Set up new tank, making sure it is plumb, level and square.

5) Substrate, driftwood, rocks... Add just enough water to not quite cover the substrate.

6) Plant, misting often.

7) Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and fill slowly. Allow the water to seep slowly over the edges of the plate. This is so the water will not cloud very much.

8) Set up and turn on equipment, check that it all works. If the cycled filter media can be placed in the new filter that is great. Otherwise you can hang it in mesh bags where it will be in good water flow. Then remove one bag per week for 3-4 weeks.
If you want to boost the bacteria population look for a product with Nitrospiros species of nitrifying bacteria. All other 'bacteria in a bottle' products have the wrong species and are just a waste of money.

9) Net the fish and put them in the tank. Do not add the water from the fish buckets. Fish under stress produce excess ammonia. Many species produce a stress hormone. You do not want to add either of these to the new tank.

Lights off for the rest of the day, and reduced or no food.
Monitor the tank for the first week for ammonia or other issues.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
When I moved from my 29 to my 75 I moved all of my old EcoComplete to the new tank and added 4 more bags on top of it.

Combined with water from the old tank I had no issues getting everything going right away.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
This isn't any help but why not just have two tanks!

Eheim # 460 Professional 3 2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 haha - Yeah - eventually. The 57 rimless is going in the living room and the 30 x-high will either be decommissioned or go in the study... One can never have too many tanks - Honestly I need to learn how to do the transition because I can't have both tanks in the living room and it's a good thing to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g01ngog View Post
This isn't any help but why not just have two tanks!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for the step by step!!

Why not ADA? I was told they are the best. I thought Amazonia I had ammonia problems, not II - Can you please clarify?

[QUOTE=Diana;1320540]A planted tank will make up for not moving the substrate (with its bacteria population).

If you do not want to cycle again, then skip any of the substrates that generate ammonia (ADA product line, some others).

How to move stuff to new tank:

1) Have new stuff ready. Tank rinsed, substrate ready to go...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That would be the default for me - but I want a substrate that allows a carpet of HC or hair grass - currently my ecco complete is too large to let that happen - I've tried - though micro val has started to spread - it's just not a fine carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavis41 View Post
When I moved from my 29 to my 75 I moved all of my old EcoComplete to the new tank and added 4 more bags on top of it.

Combined with water from the old tank I had no issues getting everything going right away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode