can anyone tell me what kind of rocks these are? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
can anyone tell me what kind of rocks these are?

I had these rocks given to me probably 30 years ago when I was collecting rocks as a kit...
I found them packed away in a box about a year ago but I have NO idea what kind of rock it is. Can anyone help me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_162737.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	896357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_162743.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	896359  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I have put this in the aquascape forum instead of the substrate forum?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 11:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

While we can recognize some of the more distinctive types of rocks sold specifically for aquascaping we are definitely not geologists so random rocks collected from the wild we will almost certainly not be able to identify. That said, many rocks are perfectly safe to put in the aquarium. The quickest test is to dribble some vinegar on the rock and see if it fizzes or creates tiny bubbles. If you don't see any then its PROBABLY safe. To be doubly sure put it in a bucket of your water (tap or RO whatever you plan to use) and let it sit for a week. Measure GH, and KH when the rock goes in and again a week later. This will let you know if its leeching much. If it does leech it doesn't necessarily mean you can't use it. Seiryu stone leeches after all, but it will mean you will want to keep up with water changes etc.
deeda and itsmecap like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. I have had some of the rocks in my 29 gallon tank for about 6 months now with no problems.
I was just hoping that just maybe someone knew what I had lol. Never know who knows what on these forums and what kind of jobs and knowledge of things people on forums like this have so I thought I would throw it out there and just ask lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

The red may be iron. Hard to tell from the pictures. I agree with @minorhero about dribbling vinegar on them. I'm a huge fan of sustainable rock collection.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

tried vinager with no reaction... Im not assuming it iron? doesnt iron kill snails? I have a TON of snails with no probmlems lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Red can indicate iron if we are dealing with iron ore but since iron ore is pretty hard to find and there are tons of other chemicals which make red, I normally do not expect to find iron in enough quantities to bother me. Red River along Texas-Ok border or red clay of Georgia for instance?
But the rock type is likely to be a combo of various types from what I see. First there looks like layers of sediment and then that sedimentary rock looked like it was remelted and moved and shaped making it Igneous. So many ways to form rocks but one of the more common types is conglomerate meaning it is a combo of several other types.
So you may just have a conglomeration of rocks in the sink, none of which are hazardous! If you have good hard water with lots of buffering (GH/ KH) you are not likely to see any change when adding a few minerals from rocks which degrade really slowly. If you have soft acidic water, it takes more watching as you have no buffers to resist change.
EDIT:
Just looked at your location and might want to change the idea of iron, depending where they were collected. If from SE of you, in Rolla area or SE, there is a better chance of iron there. Still would not worry me much if the snails are happy.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-15-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im not exactly sure where they came from. It was given to me many many years ago by a truck driver who found them on one of his many trips around the US
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Algae Grower

That looks like iron ore, I wouldn't use that for an aquarium. It may contain varied metals and chemicals in unstable conditions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode