Oil-Dri as inert substrate - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Oil-Dri as inert substrate

I am currently rescaping my 75G and plan on using Oil-Dri as an inert base to build height in my tank. It is similar to Safe-T-Sorb. I've read of CEC capacity on baked clay products, as well as people charging it with minerals and ferts prior to use as a substrate to manage the issues that come with the CEC. Since I'm using this as a base/inert layer, I was wondering if charging it was necessary? Or perhaps charging it with only baking soda? The plan is to cap the Oil-Dri with soil, and cap the soil with aquasoil.

Link to journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...xperiment.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

On your build cover those drainage grates with a couple layers of fiberglass window screen to keep clay to about 1.5-2” thick all around, that way you won’t have to deal with as much high CEC material. Your soil and AS on top already has enough CEC/buffering capacity to worry about. No sense adding a bunch of high CEC media as a inert filler (basically creating a giant nutrient sponge) that your plant roots will never touch. Best to leave all that space in grates as a empty void. The 1-2” of clay under soil layer that you put down will give you all the anaerobic layering you could need.
carlsj2012 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @DaveKS. Follow up question: With a layer of CEC material as deep as originally planned, would the sponge effect be as pronounced since flow will essentially be null at the bottom? I figured the water column would be the same throughout, just thought that since it was so deep, nutrients wouldn't leech into it (in any significant amount) due to lack of flow and "fresh" water.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

CEC is attraction of positive charged particles to negatively charged CEC sites in media. Restrictions of water flow will slow it down but it will never stop until all the medias CEC potential is completely exhausted.

On a molecular level it sets up it own water exchange. As minerals are pulled out of solution and bound, the water becomes less dense and rises and is replaced by denser water. Even if you put clay substrate in bucket a couple inches deep and fill bucket with water of a known ammonium or ther positive cation element level, no circulation at all, it will continue to absorb those all on its own until all the CEC potential of clay is exhausted.

Use a large pored substrate like oilsorb or soil balls and that natural water exchange can happen very quickly. Real soil type substrate also contain humates which allow them to also absorb other negative charged anions such as phosphorus and iron. Clay, out of the package can’t, but over time it’s pore structure will absorb humates which will increase its ability to attract anions.

With you planning on putting soil over clay it will build up a humate level pretty quickly.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I did a bucket test and ran into some surprising results. Definitely does not match any experience I've read about using heavy CEC material. I filled a bucket with 4 gallons of tap water, and poured Oil-Dri in until I reached the gallon mark. Once everything settled, I tested the water and compared it to my control (tap water)

Tap Water
pH: 7.5
GH: 12 drops
KH: 6 drops
Ca: 60ppm
Mg: 15.7 ppm

Oil-Dri Bucket:
pH: 6.8
GH: 38 drops
KH: 6 drops
Ca: 150 ppm
Mg: 74 ppm

Not what I had expected. I thought my GH would drop off to almost nothing, not go the other way! Is my bucket test not a valid one? Maybe I will try again, this time rinsing the media before pouring it in.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

That isn't surprising.
Oil-dri is essentially clay

The magnesium is surprising,as the oil dri should "catch it".

However, everything else makes sense. The oil dri grabs a lot of cations, many of them increase pH.

I would expect oil dri to increase TDS. TDS just measures conductivity of water. Oil dri can't remove the conductive elements, only bind them. They are still conductive.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out. But pompous fools -- guys who are fools and are covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus -- THAT, I CANNOT STAND! -Richard Feynman
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My mistake. I had remembered all the forum entries incorrectly and was expecting my GH to crater (the forums all mention KH cratering, although mine has stayed the same).

The magnesium "tests" are derived from the equation ((GH in ppm) - (2.5 x Ca in ppm))/ 4.1 = Mg in ppm.

Maybe this is inaccurate?

So how would I go about dealing with all this hardness in a new tank? Do I lay down my substrate and hardscape, and flood the tank with no plants for a couple of weeks? Water changes every day until GH, Ca, and TDS come back into range? I feel like plants right from the get go will not have an easy time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fullers earth can have varying amounts of calcite, dolomite or quartz depending on where it is mined. So depending on its source, it releasing Ca and Mg ions while binding others is not impossible.

Did your rinse oil dry throughly before trying this? Repeat experiment and dose it known levels of nitrate and phosphate and see what happens.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode