2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nebthet78
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Moving a tank with aquasoil

I have a 10 gallon Dennerle Shrimp King tank that I'm moving while I'm (and hopefully we're all) in QT. It has a 4" bed of ADA for substrate. I can move the shrimp to a bucket and drop an airstone in it for a day or two if needed. But this thin rimless 3 pane of glass tank is going to have to be completely emptied to safely move. Has anyone here moved a tank using aquasoil? How messy is it going to be? How long before delicate Caridina can be added back to it? I'm guessing they can safely be added back once clear, but unsure if that will be overnight or a week away. I'll be able to keep at least half of their water which should be of some help. Thanks in advance.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just went through this myself in December. I just reduced the water down to a half inch from the soil and removed as many shrimp as I could and moved the tank. I just did it carefully and set it back up. As long as there isn't a whole lot of bouncing around of the tank, it shouldn't really get very cloudly. Put the tank in it's place and let it settle for a few hours before trying to add water back to it. Just make sure you keep your biomedia wet.

Interestingly .. I ended up waiting a several weeks before setting my tank back up and the shrimp that I left in the tank, with no heater, all survived which was a heck of a surprise, especially the single Crystal Red in there.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Id just drain water down to bottom glass using small siphon hose and move it with substrate in it. Bent glass tanks are a lot sturdier because of the solid, 1 piece U shaped glass.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Interesting. I intuitively felt the opposite. They just *look* so thin and fragile. That would certainly be a much easier route. Removing every shrimp fry isn't possible anyway so if I could pull off a wet move, especially if they survive it, that would be an ideal scenario. Perhaps I can get the platform underneath it and move it that way.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Interesting. I intuitively felt the opposite. They just *look* so thin and fragile. That would certainly be a much easier route. Removing every shrimp fry isn't possible anyway so if I could pull off a wet move, especially if they survive it, that would be an ideal scenario. Perhaps I can get the platform underneath it and move it that way.

To prevent a leak, best to place the tank on a board while you transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

That's the plan. Getting it on the platform and then onto its mat and lining that up will be the challenge, but it's that or remove every granule. I'll update when I give it a try, thanks guys!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

I did this about a year ago with a small rimless, I cut a 3/4 of plywood to fit the tank,
Drained most of the water out
Slide on plywood put on cart with wheels and moved it carried it when I had to.
I left fish and plants inside but fish might need re homed if it a long move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode