Which organic soil should I use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which organic soil should I use?

Hi guys

I was looking into Diana walstead souls, but I can't find them anywhere. They seem to be discontinued any ideas of which ones I can use for a planted tank? And maybe a link to it thru home depot or Lowes or wherever so I can know which one to buy? Thanks a bunch gang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:16 AM
Banned

Soil composition varies from location to location. The same brand sold in one location can have a very different composition from another. So what may work well for one person may not work well for another bc the composition is different.

Always look at the soil composition that's listed on the bag. If it's mostly forest product, it will be very nutrient poor. Ideally, it should contain a lot of well-composted material (listed as compost) which will appear dark brown and black and have a crumbly texture.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

I see thank you, so what key words should I look for that means well composted? I'm a noob sorry for being so needy. I read some of the bags and got confused it'll say things like peat moss, stuff from Georgia I was like uhh whats all this loll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotala macrandra View Post
Soil composition varies from location to location. The same brand sold in one location can have a very different composition from another. So what may work well for one person may not work well for another bc the composition is different.

Always look at the soil composition that's listed on the bag. If it's mostly forest product, it will be very nutrient poor. Ideally, it should contain a lot of well-composted material (listed as compost) which will appear dark brown and black and have a crumbly texture.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Banned

It should just say compost but even this term is vague and doesn't indicate what was composted. The nutritive value of compost varies depending on what was composted and how well it was composted. A large variety of organic material will usually offer a better balance of nutrients than compost made from limited varieties of organic material.

Peat moss has almost no nutritive value. It's main function is to add volume, texture, and water retention, as well as to increase acidity. Most of these qualities are of little value in a planted tank substrate.

I make my own compost and use it as the main nutritive source.

https://www.bettervegetablegardening...-products.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 07:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have had a lot of success using a layer of pure worm castings capped with pool filter sand. I've recently tried mixing the worm castings ~50/50 with sand and then capping that. It's only been about a month, but it seems to be working so far.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode