Questions about SE Asian Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about SE Asian Biotope

I have a 5 gallon (Fluval Spec V) that is loosely my SE Asian biotope (I say loosely because you can see the pre-filter sponge, there's mixed neocaridina in there, ADA aquasoil and a betta splendens, but other than that, the branches, coconut husks, leaf litter, and plants all come from SE Asian (specifically Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar (Burma), and Thailand). I know this wouldn't be a blackwater pool, given all the plants from bottom to surface, so more likely a shallow stream. My question is, is there any nano fish (less than 1" full grown) in any area that would fit this kind of biotope? I considered having it based on Mae Klong (or Mae Khlong/Meklong) basin for the siamese dwarf rasbora, but that's a deeper river and I'd have to redo my setup I assume (like getting rid of sticks, maybe more rocks (I don't have any in there), etc).

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
First few that come to mind are many of the genus Microrasbora, Boraras, Danio, Microdevario or Celestichthys.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
First few that come to mind are many of the genus Microrasbora, Boraras, Danio, Microdevario or Celestichthys.
Thank you for the help! So far I've been considering these indigenous to Thailand from a vendor I frequent:

Kubotai Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai) (my favorite so far!)
Ornate Dwarf Rasbora (Trigonostigma somphongsi)
Strawberry Rasbora (Boraras naevus)
Dwarf Rasbora (Boraras maculatus)

get out of my house

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would advise against adding any more fish in a 5 gallon. You would be close to over stocking as a lot of those nano fish do better in a school of 6 or more. 1 Betta to 5 gallons in addition to your mixed NeoCaridinas would be a lot more stable tank.

A standard 10 gallon tank would easily carry the bio-load of the (fully grown..) nano fish, shrimp and a Betta. Remember that the Fluval Spec V has some of it's 5 gallon volume taken up as the filter and heater area and the slots for the water intake could theoretically capture or trap any nano fish if bought as smaller youngsters. Also consider the size of your Betta as they could make a quick meal of a young nano fish.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I only have three neocaridinas currently, it's impossible to reproduce with the betta about. They weren't really meant to be a stable colony, though, since these were culls from another tank. I've stopped putting them in the betta tank, though, since the strain has definitely been tainted in that colony. I still don't understand how I got a chocolate neocaridina among snowballs in the first place.

Edit: I would really love to consolidate/expand my current tanks, from 4 nanos to 1 large one. Since I have two male bettas, though, it'd have to be 2 big separate ones (10g-30g each), or one large one with a divider down the center. Too bad Fluval doesn't make any bigger than 16g (that isn't bowed, I hate bowed), I love how they hide the equipment.

Idea: Maybe two Fluval Spec 16 gallons. Only thing I dislike is compared to my Fluval Spec V, the width goes from 7.5" to 11.5", the length from 20.5" to 21.8", and the height from 11.6" to 17.5"--I'd definitely prefer more horizontal space than vertical. Might just have to get a regular tank with separate parts and do my best to hide them in the background rather than use Fluval's handy hidden compartments.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 03-10-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Tank upgrade maybe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode