Rescape with ADA Amazonia but have fish. Please help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescape with ADA Amazonia but have fish. Please help.

So i’d like to rescape my current 32gallon. Used Amazonia already and tank is fully cycled. Was wondering, if i rescape and use new amazonia soil, what do i do about my fish? Will they be ok if i were to add them once rescape is done and i put back the established filter?? Or will they have a problem due to the ammonia spikes? Any suggestions?
I have a total of 6 fish: 4 otos, and 1 medium sized angelfish, and 2 juveniles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningendou View Post
So i’d like to rescape my current 32gallon. Used Amazonia already and tank is fully cycled. Was wondering, if i rescape and use new amazonia soil, what do i do about my fish? Will they be ok if i were to add them once rescape is done and i put back the established filter?? Or will they have a problem due to the ammonia spikes? Any suggestions?
I have a total of 6 fish: 4 otos, and 1 medium sized angelfish, and 2 juveniles.
I recently rescaped my tank too with ADA amazonia, and the ammonia spike was very high even with the use of an established filter. There was no way I was gona put my fish in that. Then a few days in however, I noticed several baby fish in the tank which must have been eggs on the plants from the previous set up. They are all alive today weeks later. Given that, if you have no other choice housing your fish you might get away with the ammonia spike given you strictly follow the daily water changes and use plenty of seachem prime as well as your established filter. My ammonia dropped to 0 ppm about 1.5 weeks in. I am not saying your fish will be fine and survive, but in my case small baby fish survived.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I recently rescaped my tank too with ADA amazonia, and the ammonia spike was very high even with the use of an established filter. There was no way I was gona put my fish in that. Then a few days in however, I noticed several baby fish in the tank which must have been eggs on the plants from the previous set up. They are all alive today weeks later. Given that, if you have no other choice housing your fish you might get away with the ammonia spike given you strictly follow the daily water changes and use plenty of seachem prime as well as your established filter. My ammonia dropped to 0 ppm about 1.5 weeks in. I am not saying your fish will be fine and survive, but in my case small baby fish survived.
How high did the ammonia spike get? I will also be using about 5-10gallons of my current water, i hope it cycles within the same time as yours, due to fish not having a filter running while i wait.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Ningendou;11307895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
How high did the ammonia spike get? I will also be using about 5-10gallons of my current water, i hope it cycles within the same time as yours, due to fish not having a filter running while i wait.[/QUOTE

I think it was at 1ppm but could have been 2 or 3 even, I did use 4 9 litre bags though so it wasnt too bad.
Oh yeh I forgot about reusing the old water, which I didnt actually do. Most beneficial bacteria is on the filter media rocks, driftwood etc anyway not in the water column. Also depends what filter you use an established cannister filter will cycle much quicker.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:56 AM
Algae Grower

Iíve done this a couple times and the ADA soil buffers the ph to acid so you will have no ammonia you will have ammonium, that being said you will still have massive waters perimeter swing which may or may not affect your fish, my fish never had a problem.
When I changed soil I made sure my new water was slightly acid as to not cause a ammonia spike and I also changed water regularly. My readings would be up to 4 ppm on a test kit but no Iíll effects on fish with about a 6.5 or lower ph. I believe that when people kill there fish switching to ada soil is when they do a water change with water that has a ph of 7 or higher causing ammonium to turn to ammonia, which can kill your fish. Also repeated water perimeter changes can kill fish, which changing out soil can do,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69 View Post
Iíve done this a couple times and the ADA soil buffers the ph to acid so you will have no ammonia you will have ammonium, that being said you will still have massive waters perimeter swing which may or may not affect your fish, my fish never had a problem.
When I changed soil I made sure my new water was slightly acid as to not cause a ammonia spike and I also changed water regularly. My readings would be up to 4 ppm on a test kit but no Iíll effects on fish with about a 6.5 or lower ph. I believe that when people kill there fish switching to ada soil is when they do a water change with water that has a ph of 7 or higher causing ammonium to turn to ammonia, which can kill your fish. Also repeated water perimeter changes can kill fish, which changing out soil can do,

After thinking about it if you could use ADA light it has less ammonia in it than The regular ADA, it might be better if your going to add fish right away.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-14-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Pascal @Matt69

Decided to just stick fish in my old unused tank. Running an airstone and heater but not filter or light. How long do you guys think they’ll be ok like that for? Should i ads a light? Suggestions?
Rescaped already and tested water, ammonia reads 1-2ppm.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningendou View Post
@Pascal @Matt69

Decided to just stick fish in my old unused tank. Running an airstone and heater but not filter or light. How long do you guys think they’ll be ok like that for? Should i ads a light? Suggestions?
Rescaped already and tested water, ammonia reads 1-2ppm.
If you use plenty of seachem prime they will be ok, without the filter though not too sure as there is no way in the new tank with fish for the bacteria to build anywhere to convert the ammonia and nitrites. I put my fish when i rescaped also in my other tank with an not established filter, even though the water was reused the ammonia and nitrites skyrocketed, only seachem prime kept my fish alive. The filter took 2 weeks to establish and to set the ammonia and nitrite to zero. I dont believe oxygen stones are good enough they never work for me having my fish gasp for air about 4 hours already when I had a power outage recently. Your best bet is try to get a cheap even small sponge filter and use the seachem prime!!! Without it no chance. Maybe try put one fish in the new setup tank while you dosed prime and see how it reacts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Algae Grower

The ammonium is harmless if your ph is acidic, but remember, it will change to nitrite and spike. But hopefully it probably wont cause harm unless you have sensitive fish. Ada light didnt really spike much for me to worry about. But it's not the same as normal ada so that's a personal preference.

For me the amount of suspended particles after adding it was more irritating. I did the whole water bowl thing and all. I threw in a spare filter to clear it out before turning my main filter on. Then a water change then the fish went back in.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Ben3721 @Pascal @Matt69

So it has been day 3 since my rescape. I may have misread or read too early on my previos post about 1-2ppm of ammonia. Readings have been between 2-4ppm. Did a WC yesterday and it did drop to 1ppm, but today it’s been at 2-4ppm. I plan to do another big WC tmrw. Also PH has been a constant 6.6 with CO2 running. Even at night after CO2 turns off it stays between 6.6-6.8.

Fish in other are doing ok, except for one juvie. Been swimming upward since i put him into the smaller tank. Threw in some filter media and stones and a piece of wood hoping it helps a bit. Been keeping a very diligent eye on water parameters.

Any more suggestions? Im just a bit concerned about the very high ammonia in main tank, which makes me more concerned about my fish since it may take longer than a week to cycle main tank again.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

I'm facing a similar problem with ADA Aquasoil (Nature Tank edition) so will be following.

My problem is it was my first time using Aquasoil and I didn't realize how much it would "settle" so now I've only got about an inch of soil, and plants taking off.

I had big ammonia and nitrite spikes when I cycled the tank with Aquasoil (fishless) so I don't want to subject my betta to that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Nature Freak

So far it has been 1 week and 1day and still leeching ammonia. Did drop tho from 4+ppm to about 1ppm now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode