Soil with BDS Cap Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soil with BDS Cap Question

Hey guys,

I got a new 75G and will be setting it up after I move in a few weeks. This will not be my first planted tank, but after doing research, I decided to try soil with BDS cap for the first time. I found a soil I like (Miracle Gro organic garden soil). I sifted it through chicken wire to remove the excess filler, put it in a bucket, and filled it with water. I plan to do a water change every day or two for a couple weeks until I get my tank moved in.

My question: When I flood the soil, about 60% of it floats to the top. Am I supposed to net all of that out, or is it fine to keep in the mix because it will be capped with sand?

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

So when I did my Walstad tank I scooped the floating stuff and got rid of it. I was left with not much soil but that was ok because I didn't need much. If doing a 75 gallon you need a lot of dirt. I would be tempted to try harder to keep all that stuff. You can wait a week and see what sinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
So when I did my Walstad tank I scooped the floating stuff and got rid of it. I was left with not much soil but that was ok because I didn't need much. If doing a 75 gallon you need a lot of dirt. I would be tempted to try harder to keep all that stuff. You can wait a week and see what sinks.
Yeah I think that's what I'll end up doing. For water changes I'll need to pour through a skimmer so I'm not losing anything from the top. Luckily I bought a second bag just in case, so I can do the same with that.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

When I do my dirt tanks I put an inch to inch and half of soil. Wet it until its consistency of peanut butter. Basically so you can mold it and it will stay. Any wetter and you will get the floating bits. Let that sit a day or two and then cap with whatever sand or gravel you wish, about an inch over the mud/soil. As long as you’re careful when adding water you won’t get a breach were soil and sticks will escape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode