• 3 Post By Discusluv
  • 2 Post By ThePlantedMedic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescape Biology

Hey everyone,

Looking for some opinions or your thoughts on tank cycling following a rescape.

I have a dirted tank capped with BD blasting sand. It has been four years and I'm ready to remove the substrate and swap it out. The tank scape and plants have been neglected for a bit after my CO2 ran out a bit ago and it's time to start fresh.
*Note; I haven't chosen a substrate but if I go with a nitrogen releasing one, does that change your thoughts?*

The plan is to move the livestock and a couple plants to an empty 30g with the existing filters for a day or two while I rip down the 75g tank and rescape.

When the main tank is full again, will the media in my filters be enough to handle the bioload or will I need to run a good full cycle again before putting the fish back? I know that by chucking the substrate and some plants/rocks I am also tossing the good bacteria. Am I getting rid of too much to for the mature filters to handle it?

Here is my setup to help form your opinions;
I am over filtered with a SunSun304B and a fluval F6.
Fauna: 1xAngelfish, 3x turquoise rainbows, 3 SAEs and 8x red tetras. I will be adding to the livestock when the tank is set up and good to go.
I will only be transferring my Java fern, some crypts and my 2 swords, all other plants will be new, not sure if this influences your choice.

Thanks in advance for your time in reading and responses!!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

Well an FX6 and a SS on a 30G is gonna be a gusher!, I would buy a new rubber trash can, put my hard scrape and water in that with the FX, keep warm. Put the SS on the 30 with fish. i just did the same and it went well no losses, just keep your filters running..with dirty media of course.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatroy50 View Post
Well an FX6 and a SS on a 30G is gonna be a gusher!, I would buy a new rubber trash can, put my hard scrape and water in that with the FX, keep warm. Put the SS on the 30 with fish. i just did the same and it went well no losses, just keep your filters running..with dirty media of course.
That's a great idea, thanks for that! Did you reintroduce the fish back as soon as you were done the rescape?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Waited about 4 hours till it cleared up a bit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Whenever change out substrate should treat your tank as if it is going through a mini-cycle -- just to be safe.
After rescaping and putting fish back into the main tank, just do at least 25- 50% water changes daily for first few days. On the fourth day test for ammonia and nitrite to be sure-- and, then, should be good. 72-96 hours ( at temperatures above 70 degrees) should give a well-established tank plenty of time to rebuild the biofilter to one again match the bioload.

One thing I wouldn't do is rely on testing for ammonia or nitrite alone to tell you if all is well. An ammonia and/or nitrite spike can happen quickly and, once done, its too late.
Many will tell you not to worry about a mini-cycle because they didnt experience one after a rescape-- ignore that and take the extra precaution to keep your livestock safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Whenever change out substrate should treat your tank as if it is going through a mini-cycle -- just to be safe.
After rescaping and putting fish back into the main tank, just do at least 25- 50% water changes daily for first few days. On the fourth day test for ammonia and nitrite to be sure-- and, then, should be good. 72-96 hours ( at temperatures above 70 degrees) should give a well-established tank plenty of time to rebuild the biofilter to one again match the bioload.

One thing I wouldn't do is rely on testing for ammonia or nitrite alone to tell you if all is well. An ammonia and/or nitrite spike can happen quickly and, once done, its too late.
Many will tell you not to worry about a mini-cycle because they didnt experience one after a rescape-- ignore that and take the extra precaution to keep your livestock safe.
That's great advice and quite easy to do. I guess the extra step to make sure the risk is low. Especially with just a couple of half tank changes. Thanks for the advice.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

Iíve done enough fish in cycles that Iím not scared of a mini-cycle. I would follow the advice given so far, dirty filter, keep your handscape wet. Fill your tank with up with whatever water you use for your hardscape, and dose with sea hem prime to keep Ammonia in check if a mini cycle happens. Check ammonia daily and plan on water changes.
I waited 24 hours after I filled my tank to put my livestock back, just for safety, and I didnít lose anyone, even my shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trahana: now with a custom signature. ...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode