Flourite capped with controsoil?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite capped with controsoil??

I'm about to start a pretty simple 7 gallon scape that's mostly just going to be a monte carlo carpet. This will be the first carpet I'm attempting and I have a substrate question.

I know I need soil for the monte carlo to spread best, but I have a bunch of flourite left over from my previous tank and I don't want to break the bank for soil. Would I be able to use my leftover flourite as a base (about 1 inch) and cap it with fine ultum controsoil (another inch)?

I haven't been able to figure out any downsides to this approach, but haven't found any threads about soil over flourite (just some about flourite over soil). The tank will have co2 so I cant imagine flourite+controsoil being a problem, but I just want to check with people more experienced than I.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Flourite is inert, there is no difference in putting aquasoil over a bare tank, or sand, or regular gravel. Your biggest issue will be the aquasoil and flourite mixing but it doesn't sound like that really matters to you since this will be a fully carpeted tank.

Remember to do water changes frequently when new. A new aquasoil tank requires 50% water change every day for the first week, every other day for the second week, 3 times in week 3 and twice in week 4 thereafter a 50% water change every week. This keeps nutrient release from building up too much in the water and an algae bloom from taking over your tank. If you are planning to do just monte carlo this will be doubly important for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Really can’t think of reason not to. Actually the little bit of extra iron in clay based fluorite base will probably give you slow release of iron into the higher humic content top layer.

Tags
flourite, monte carlo, soil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode