Top soil - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Top soil

Hey everyone,

I have a planted tank, and I have been using root tabs.

My moss and stem plants are doing well, the rooted plants not great.

I was thinking of adding my root plants to containers filled with something like Stratum, then burring the container.

Rachelle O’leary does this, and seems to have success.

Here is my question. Can I use top soil? And I’ve heard stratum will cause huge increases in ammonia at first. Anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you mean using a dirt substrate? I would not add ferts if you go that route.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah.

I want to use some organic top soil

I use liquid ferts for my non rooted plants. Do mean avoid root tabs?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I only do dirt, so my perspective is limited. If I try a squirt of Easy Green, my crypts start melting. Dirt provides a lot of nutrients.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What dirt do you use?

Something like stratum?

Did you cycle the tank with the dirt? I’ve heard if you add it afterwards, you’ll get a huge ammonia spike?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Soil can mean so many things. When I say dirt, I mean organic potting soil, which is like a battery for nutrients. I like it because I grew up in the woods next to a river, and it is natural to me.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I tried Fluval Stratum, but it did not work for me. I'm sure you can work with it, but it is not dirt in the form of pressed spheres.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 12-30-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I like dirt. You can use small pots with dirt capped in sand with success.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did either of you have problems with ammonia?

My LFS said if I add dirt to a cycled tank, it will create an ammonia spike
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:48 PM
Banned

Adding dirt to a cycled tank will spike your ammonia only if the dirt has reduced nitrogen in it -- either because it has been fertilized with an ammonium fertlizer or has a lot of dead plant matter in it.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can you recommend a brand?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One way to help limit, if not avoid, an ammonia spike when using soil is Aaron Talbot's remineralization technique:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...on-talbot.html
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

I redid my dirt (organic potting soil) substrate on a few tanks, to have less dirt, since I used too much when I started them. I had to move my livestock, and re-read the book. It was messy and required a lot of patience. Those tanks are still messy, but much less messy, and I have gained much more patience, but I still like this path.

For me, this is the way. (Mandalorian paraphrase, not hobby gospel).

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 12-30-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Edit
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I like dirt. You can use small pots with dirt capped in sand with success.
I would like to use small pots in a couple of my small utility tanks (under 10 gallons). Have you found a plant cup that fits well and works well for our hobby? I feel like there has to be something bigger and better than the containers we normally see. I would like a proper cube shape, maybe about 2.5" x 2.5" x 2.5", so they could fit in small-slice betta tanks.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 12-30-2019 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Edit
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post
I was thinking of adding my root plants to containers filled with something like Stratum, then burring the container.

Rachelle Oleary does this, and seems to have success.

Here is my question. Can I use top soil? And Ive heard stratum will cause huge increases in ammonia at first. Anyone have any advice?
Top soil is absolutely fine, screen it to get large debris out and then soak it and remove anything that floats.
Use 3/4 - 1" of soil and cap with a bit more than an inch.
A tighter cap prevents too much leaching into the water column.
I am using little pots all over the tank these days, mini red solo cups that are not hidden and look terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I had to move my livestock, and re-read the book.
Didn't realize there was a book of "Dirt" ?

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode