Help!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Help!!

So starting from scratch 125g 1” soill then capped with CS EC 1.75, then 36 hrs this? Should I recap with bbs or?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E831C61-4B92-4BFC-8E8E-6F1513700AFB.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	890747  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
How did you prep the soil?
What type of cap?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Until we know more, I would just say keep running your filters and rinsing your foam in tank-water. Even if you got your layers right, it can still be messy during startup.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 AM
Algae Grower

Mine looked similar to that at the beginning too. So long as your soil doesn’t contain too much wood (floats and heaps of tannins), fertilizers (toxic), or non-organic additives. I capped with black quartz sand (mainly) and white river sand (for decorative purposes). The sands don’t need to be washed if they are from an aquarium supplier but doesn’t hurt to wash them if you are unsure. I placed between an inch (2.5cm) to 4cm of soil and 1-2cm of sand to cap it. When it looks dirty (like yours), change all the water but place a bowl under the hose to prevent the soil from being disturbed. I planted my tank when it was still dirty but many do it after the first water change. Good luck. This was how I did it and I’m sure there are many ways to do it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

I actually think part of the fun is watching everything clear up in a new tank, even if you keep the tannins, which I like with my hard water. It also helps you visualize the patience aspect of the hobby.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I actually think part of the fun is watching everything clear up in a new tank, even if you keep the tannins, which I like with my hard water. It also helps you visualize the patience aspect of the hobby.
If all is done well turbidity should not be an issue from the start.

Tannin is another topic altogether and depends upon one's desire to keep it.
IMHO tannin should be acquired from wood placed in the tank and not remnants of mulch left behind in the soil.

Save patience, keep in the back pocket until algae prevails.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I haven't gone thru it with my newer tanks, but with my first dirt tank, it was a good experience.

Cheers

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatroy50 View Post
So starting from scratch 125g 1” soill then capped with CS EC 1.75, then 36 hrs this? Should I recap with bbs or?
Eco-complete is a pretty coarse substrate. I would give it 3 or 4 days to clear up. If its not clear then tear it all out and redo it using sand of your choice. There are other things you "should" do with a soil tank as well but hopefully you don't have to go down that road.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I drained then added another 2 bags of ec, focusing on any low spots, refilled and it looks like its holding

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode