The Planted Tank Forum banner

Black blasting sand...looks too stark

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Blackheart 
#1 ·
Can't seem to get used to the black sand alone in the tank. It just makes the tank look too stark for lack of a better word. I have to mix in something for sure. Anyone feel this way and did you mix it with something and if you did what did you use? Thanks

#2 ·
I don't like black substrates for this very reason. I find they do not look natural enough for me. I have pool filter sand in one tank with small bits of gravel. That would be my recommendation. Nothing more natural then sand. Pool filter sand is cheap as well. 50lbs cost you around 15 dollars or less. Try to get the HTH brand if possible, not sure if that's available in Canada.

#3 ·
What else do you have or plan for the tank? Light or dark it really depends what your trying to do as both have adv/disadv.

Once your put plants in and lighter hardscape a black substrate shouldn't look stark. Light colored substrates like pool filter sand are great, I use them all the time, but they also show everything and can become an eyesore if the tank isn't maintained properly. Dark substrates also make many fish and plant colors pop more.

#4 ·
I have 3 tanks with BDBS, I like it and it makes my plants and fish pop. Though some darker colored fish may not pop as much, some corydoras kind of blend in with it. I am going to start a smaller tank soon with pool filter sand as soon as I find some then my darker corydoras will go in that tank.

#6 ·
#21 ·
Wow; this stuff looks really, really good. I know this might sound stuffy, but most gravels at pet and fish stores look so incredibly unnatural. I find that substrate is the biggest challenge in an aquascape. You can get great-looking driftwood and larger rocks, but substrate options are too monochrome, too uniform in size or too unnatural looking. (I also think all-black sand looks glaringly unnatural.)

Pool filter sand is the best option in my mind, but it still can look too uniform. You can mix in some gravel with the sand, but it can be hard to get gravel that is similar enough in color to really make the mix look natural.

Ok; I think I just revealed how anal, particular and obsessive I am about substrate.

#7 ·
As someone who grew up in the woods, with streams and rivers, that looks very nice. Thanks for sharing. I think I am going to get a bag of this.

#12 ·
Do you have an underwater lawnmower, or a zamboni?

That's a super-soft carpet. 10-ply.

#19 ·
For a while there my 40g tank was just BDBS but I also had a lot of black lava rock just from the big orange hardware store that was piled up and around in it.

I think that looked pretty nice, though the lava rock really seems to attract green hair algae something terrible.

I've recently been transitioning it out of just being a shrimp tank and making it more of a hillstream tank, so I've added a bunch of smoother pebbles and rocks as I find them, though I'm still trying to keep them relatively dark colored in general (and forgive me for using this picture again, it's been in several threads at this point!)

At this point I'm getting so overgrown with anubias that the substrate isn't as visible anyway!

#30 ·
Squirrelly Dan and the extras s, except for sushi. Bonus points for the correct response to this post!

#33 ·
Happened to me as well- keeping it short helps, but seems like once a year it is good to rip it out, mix up the sand, and replant piece by piece.

I did this a few months back and have my carpet back now. Going to need to do the same again this/ next month as I move to a new tank.

IMO, just part of the cycle of keeping a planted tank long term!

#39 ·
I have used BDB in my recent 40 breeder and it was nice looking at first and was really cheap. I had mixed it with black moon sand. Now it just looks dirty and bland, and honestly not really a fan of it any longer. I'm debating about dumping it and using something else, just not sure what. I like the idea of a brownish colored plain gravel similar to flourite, but not the best for plants obviously.

#41 ·
I have tried black sand twice now in two different tanks. Once it becomes full of algae, which for me is only a short time, it looks awful. Light colored sand is much more natural and pleasant to look at IMO. I recently got a bunch of Caribsea Sunset Gold virtually for free and I have used it in the past and it looks awesome.

Here's a few pics of it in my old 58 tall.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.