Black blasting sand...looks too stark - The Planted Tank Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black blasting sand...looks too stark

Can't seem to get used to the black sand alone in the tank. It just makes the tank look too stark for lack of a better word. I have to mix in something for sure. Anyone feel this way and did you mix it with something and if you did what did you use? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't like black substrates for this very reason. I find they do not look natural enough for me. I have pool filter sand in one tank with small bits of gravel. That would be my recommendation. Nothing more natural then sand. Pool filter sand is cheap as well. 50lbs cost you around 15 dollars or less. Try to get the HTH brand if possible, not sure if that's available in Canada.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

What else do you have or plan for the tank? Light or dark it really depends what your trying to do as both have adv/disadv.

Once your put plants in and lighter hardscape a black substrate shouldn't look stark. Light colored substrates like pool filter sand are great, I use them all the time, but they also show everything and can become an eyesore if the tank isn't maintained properly. Dark substrates also make many fish and plant colors pop more.
Squisher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have 3 tanks with BDBS, I like it and it makes my plants and fish pop. Though some darker colored fish may not pop as much, some corydoras kind of blend in with it. I am going to start a smaller tank soon with pool filter sand as soon as I find some then my darker corydoras will go in that tank.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

Add some Flourite Dark substrate to the black. It's a natural looking brown color and looks good mixed with black.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

This stuff looks great mixed in top layer and scattered around in small piles on top of black. But yea, any substrate that's to homogeneous in size and monotone in color to me needs help to look natural.

This stuff looks great scattered around top of black also.

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Mini-...6283578&sr=8-1
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
As someone who grew up in the woods, with streams and rivers, that looks very nice. Thanks for sharing. I think I am going to get a bag of this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just get yourself a nice carpet. I forget I even have BDBS as the only substrate in my tank.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

That's a good suggestion with the pea gravel, I bet that would look nice, I'll have to remember that if I want a change of look in my tanks.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:14 AM
Planted Member

Wow that's a nice looking tank, might I ask what kind of carpet you got there?

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Tankard View Post
Wow that's a nice looking tank, might I ask what kind of carpet you got there?
Micranthemum "Monte Carlo"

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you have an underwater lawnmower, or a zamboni?

That's a super-soft carpet. 10-ply.
deeda and Econde like this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Do you have an underwater lawnmower, or a zamboni?

That's a super-soft carpet. 10-ply.
I have trimmed that damn stuff down to roots several times. It just keeps coming back faster than I can trim it, so I said "screw it" and have just let the stuff go. It's like a pillow when I'm working on the tank.
deeda likes this.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I have trimmed that damn stuff down to roots several times. It just keeps coming back faster than I can trim it, so I said "screw it" and have just let the stuff go. It's like a pillow when I'm working on the tank.
That's one of the thickest MC carpets I've seen, but those two holes (eyes) and the mound beneath them (nose) is freaking me out.
Grobbins48 likes this.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
That's one of the thickest MC carpets I've seen, but those two holes (eyes) and the mound beneath them (nose) is freaking me out.
Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing!
Asteroid likes this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode