Eco-Complete without plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-Complete without plants

I am thinking of not having plants in my tank anymore, and was wondering what the effects of the eco-complete would have in the aquarium without the plants to absorb the nutrients and such. Should I remove that too?

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It will be fine to leave in there, it does not leach out nutrients.
Im sorry to here that you are done with plants, are you having a tough time with them ? There are easy options and very easy plants to grow that will still be beneficial to your fishies if you would like some help.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am having a very tough time. I don't really want to quit plants, but I feel I've wasted so much money on plants and equipment, and I can't get it right. It's been about a year now, so I'm ready to give up. I want my fish to be happy, but I don't want an ugly thing in my living room, ya know?
I actually thought I had easy plants in there. I have Vals, Red Rubin Sword, Java Fern, and Rotala Indica, and something else I can't remember right off the top of my head.
If I can't keep those alive, I doubt I should try anything else. Quite frankly I don't really feel like redoing my tank either.
But on the other hand you have me curious to see how you may help.
Thanks-

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Lets start at the beginning, what is your setup. I know you have the Eco so that is a good thing. How about your lighting ? You say you cant keep these plants alive or is it an algae issue ?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

No, luckily I don't have an algae issue anymore. I think I have some kind of nutrient problem. All the plants look unhealthy. I just planted my Vals about two months ago, and when I did I inserted some Flourish tabs. They looked so pretty and really took off, but now they are loosing their leaves and turning yellow and reddish-brown. I think I have half of what I planted now. My rubin's leaves are getting brown tips and dissintegrating, or they get a hole that doubles in size within a day and has a webby look to it. My rotala looks ok, but it doesn't look like a healthy plant. The java ferns get ugly brownish red leaves and haven't really grown much.
Here's my setup-

46 gal bowfront
2 55 w allglass pc (just replaced)
1 30 w aqua glo
UV sterilizer
pressurized co2
eco complete substrate

nitrates between 5-10
ph 7.4
phosphates usually .1 but haven't tested lately
I dose potassium with water changes once a week and I also add flourish (1 dropperfull) twice a week.
My temperature is about 82 degrees. I can't seem to get it to lower due to the lights.
They've cracked my glass top twice.
But that's it. Oh, we have really hard water here, and it goes through a water softener. I do not want to have to use different water. Too much work. Hope I didn't forget anything. Thanks for trying to help me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 PM

It could be several factors together.
You say you have hard water, but have you ever measured the KH/GH on it. I am not all that familiar with water softeners but have heard reports of trouble with them and water quality. The reason I ask is I am doubting you have sufficient CO2 in there with a ph of 7.4, what is it out of the tap ? What do you have for a reactor ?
Are you dosing any iron at all...if you do have good levels of CO2 then you must also dose iron above and beyond what Flourish will give you.
I doubt the temperature is all that bad but it will not help you being that warm if anything else is not up to snuff.

We will just have to narrow down the causes because you have plenty of light, OUCH... what do have for bulbs in that fixture ?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

My GH is 4, KH is 14. Without CO2 the ph is 8.4. I've been using my old hagen ladder as my reactor. I was dosing iron but have recently ran out, just haven't bought any yet because I was considering quitting. I have Chuck's calculator and last time I checked I thought my CO2 levels were ok. Before when I had some weird black algae, I didn't have the levels up enough, and when I turned it up the algae eventually went away.
As far as the bulbs--they're just the All-Glass brand 55 watt pc bulbs. I contacted them about the heat cracking the top, they replaced the first one, but this time I'm not going to bother. I was thinking of replacing the piece with some tempered glass and see if that helps.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Planted Member

I have the same tank but with 2 96w pc's and Flourite. No algae or dying plants.

Here is my dosing schedule
Dose When
Nitrate 1/2 tsp SU-TU-TH
Phosphate 4 ml SU-TU-TH
CSM+B 10 ml M-W-F
Water 50% SU
Potassium 1.5 tsp SU
Magnesium 3 tsp SU

CO2 30ppm using pressurized and an external reactor. Solenoid on the same timer with the lights.

Phosphate Mix
2 tsp / 125ml water

CSM+B Mix
1.5 tsp / 125ml water

The reason for the 125ml bottles is I used to use Flourish and had extra bottles

I would recommend getting the CO2 higher and getting ferts from gregwatson.com. I had problems with algae and holes/stunted growth in my Red Rubin Sword along with plants dying off. Since I started this schedule back in November, my Rubin went from just about dead to a bush with 16" leaves and the rest of the plants are looking good too .

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:58 AM

Heather those bulbs are not the Actinics they normally supply with the fixtures are they ?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Thooshe for your suggestions. I do have ferts from Greg Watson. Only nitrates and potassioum though. I suppose I could raise the C02. Would that hurt anything? I usually dose only when my tests say I need to, but maybe I should more often?
No Buck, the bulbs are not actinics. They came with the daylight bulbs and that's what I replaced them with.
I really appreciate your trying to help. I'm wondering if the problem might be some nutrient that I'm missing, but I just don't have enough knowledge to figure it out. This is so frustrating!!!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hi Heather..
Thoose's regimen is spot on, raise your C02 to 30ppm and dose per his instructions, you will see a vast difference..you have been starving your plants,
You will also need some Plantex CSM+B from gregwatson..
Hope to see you in a couple of weeks with a good testimony

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I will try. I'm hoping you're right, cuz I don't want to spend more money for nothin.
Thanks!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Alright. I ordered the plantex and some magnesium. Hope you're right, this is my last try. If this doesn't work I'm ripping it all out and gettin PLASTIC!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Do you have KH2P04/Phosphate?
This is what you need..

KN03-Nitrate
KH2P04-Phosphate
K2S04-Potassium
Plantex CSM+B-Trace

kh and a ph test kit, for calculating C02ppm in tank

Dose accordingly per above instuctions, give it a few weeks, if it does not work out for you, send me a PM, I will send you a check for all these supply's.

Craig

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Dose accordingly per above instuctions, give it a few weeks, if it does not work out for you, send me a PM, I will send you a check for all these supply's.
Now there is an offer you cannot refuse Heather...
It definately has to be you fert regimen then with those bulbs... I really hope this all works for you, nothing beats a healthy, living tank... forget that "P" word you used in reference to plants !

Thats a great offer Wolfy... you da man !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode