4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nature Freak
  • 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
For those with Aquasoil experiencnce - two questions.

Hi there Planted Tank people!

I've just planted a 10 gallon Betta tank with ADA Amazonia "Nature Tank" (if it makes a difference).

question #1

how long should I expect it to be leeching so much ammonia? I'm on day #8 of 50% daily water changes and the ammonia is finally going down a bit. I've seeded the HOB filter with media from a mature tank.

question #2.

at what point should I start fertilizing the water column feeders, and at what point should I expect to start dosing the root feeders with whatever they need that's not in the soil (i.e. minerals?)

Thank you much in advance.

A couple of pics

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
2RDHEDZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
question #1
how long should I expect it to be leeching so much ammonia?

question #2.
at what point should I start fertilizing the water column feeders, and at what point should I expect to start dosing the root feeders with whatever they need that's not in the soil (i.e. minerals?)
#1 YMWV, but generally speaking 4 weeks is a normal amount of time until the leaching is down to enough where the tank can uptake and you can put in livestock. No reason to rush this. Let the plants start growing and help purify the water and then start slowly with livestock and keep up good water changes.

#2 The water column vs root feeder thing is a myth in the sense that certain plants won't live if you don't root feed. All plants will uptake nutrients from the water column so you don't have to worry about doing both. The aquasoil is loaded so any "root feeder" will do very well with the aquasoil and water column dosing.

With aquasoil you really only need to dose potassium and micros for at least 6 months or longer depending on plants, demand, etc. You should start dosng from the getgo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
My last two tanks with ADA started slowing way down on producing ammonia at about the 3 week period. That or the plants and bacteria caught up with it; hard to say. You can start dosing K and micros right away and a test kit can tell you if you need PO4. I don't use any sort of root tabs so will let others opine on that.
Nature Freak likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Asteroid thanks for the reply. I'm not in a rush just curious about the timeline.

I think the ammonia must be really feeding the BB because tonight I'm getting a comparatively low reading (<25 pom) but the nitrites spiked.

I saw a video by Cory of Aquarium Co-Op who explained how Aquasoil lowers the pH and thus the plants require micro dosing but my PH hasn't lowered (yet) and the plants are growing (small swords have new leaves).

I've got a bottle of AC Easy Green around.

@Blueridgereef thanks for the info. So far looks like three weeks is average. As just mentioned, perhaps seeding the filter really helped things along because right after posting I'm suddenly getting <25 ppm/ammonia and a nitrite spike and this is only 9 days in

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-15-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Start your routine when most of the plants start slowing down or showing signs of malnutrition.

Remember that plants will always have a few leaves that are dying or look bad, especially older leaves.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok but what about the rhizomes?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode