Oil Dry? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Oil Dry?

Has anyone used a product called oil dry as a substrate? good? bad? i bought a 25lb bag of it for $4!!!! its seems to be just a clay based material.....says its all natural earth material on the bag.

GONE HUNTING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yup, quite a few people have used it. Comparable to SMS, Turface, Aquariumplants.com's "own". Run a forum search for "Oil Dri" or "Oildri"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
I've had a bag sitting in my basement for over 6 months while I decide on what to do with it. I was thinking of using it as a base and capping it with something else, but was told to not do that by another member here.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
After a year I gave up. It never ever was clear. It is soooooo dirty. It gets a little soft too. SMS, turface, etc are a little hardier.

It is also soooo light and makes planting a little bit of a challenge, at times.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Cat litter or oil dri seemed to test about the same for me.

Both seemed 'dusty' in a sample jar. Changed the water several times and after the third change when I went at it with a fork stirring things up as I would with plants and it clouded up again. After 4 weeks wet it crumbled easily when rubbed between my fingers. It's light weight even after soaking for a month and being able to easily break it up I chose not to use it. I tend to leave tanks set up for a long time after putting them in place so I had a concern about it breaking down in the tank.

HTH

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 02-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Genuine Oil Dri comes in between cat litter and premium fired clay substrates. It is lighter than some though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode