2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By Termitehunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coal slag vs iron silicate

Hello I am going ti go blasting sand. I am in Canada so no Tractor Supply store. I have noticed people using the 20 40 blasting sand coal slag. I have found only 20 40 black iron silicate where I live. Is this appropriate ? I am thinking it's ok. It is deep black which I like the look of. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
Hello I am going ti go blasting sand. I am in Canada so no Tractor Supply store. I have noticed people using the 20 40 blasting sand coal slag. I have found only 20 40 black iron silicate where I live. Is this appropriate ? I am thinking it's ok. It is deep black which I like the look of. Thanks
I haven't used it, and a google search turned up no one else that said they were using it. I did find this page:

https://www.us-minerals.com/us-miner...iron-silicate/

Which noted that it is chemically inert which is good for us. I would be highly tempted to try it if it were me. If you do try it then you will want to check water parameters pretty carefully against a control sample for at least a week. And let us know what happens.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
do you have petco there? pretty sure petco black sand might be the same thing as bdbs.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post

There have been reports w/ even "branded" products of too many heavy metals in some slags.
Not common but something to be aware of..
Discusluv likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
The coal slag and the iron silicate should be the same thing, just different names. The link posted above goes to us minerals which makes the coal slag and talks about the iron silicate, which is the same thing. I use it in my 3 tanks and have healthy plants and fish and no complaints what so ever. Just be sure to rinse very very thoroughly, i sprayed mine in a tub with a jet setting on a garden hose sprayer and probably rinsed it about 8 times, basically until you notice no notable difference in a rinse. Other than that I love the color, the ease of use, availability, and the price.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Banned

Iron silicate is copper slag from copper smelters. Coal slag comes from coal power plants. Black diamond is the brand often listed and they sell both. According to the SDS sheets these products have the following minerals in them:

Coal Slag:https://www.blackdiamondabrasives.co...ds-rev-5-2.pdf

Copper slag(they apparently have 2 sources for this with slightly different element mix):
http://https://www.blackdiamondabras...2-3-update.pdf

https://www.blackdiamondabrasives.com/media/1329/iron-silicate-harvey-galveston-sds-rev-0.pdf

The vast majority of these produces oxides of iron, aluminum, calcium fused together in a silicon dioxide glass. Like all natural substrates they will have small amount (less than 1%) of other elements including heavy metals. However since most of the material is a fused oxide ceramic any heavy metals are trapped and will not leach out in to the water. Note that tap water will also have small levels of heavy metals in it.

It looks like all are black based on the web site. and all should be inert.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for all input. I picked up a few bags and rinsed it well. There was no debris floating during the rinsing. It seems quite heavy and is holding plants down nicely. I have no test kits and haven't used any in a long time. I will pick up a pH kit and keep an eye on in in coming weeks. The sand is very uniform and a nice deep black in the tank. I am using it alone with diy root tabs. If anything runs amuck I will report it here. Thanks again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Great post.
I just used Black Diamond blasting media for the first time with my new 125 set up. I'm currently going through a fish less cycle.
I was reluctant to use coal slag in the beginning. But saving $100 was just too tempting to not give it a try.
My concerns were leaching metals, oils, residues killing off BB etc. I have to say that it has not affected my perimeters at all. PH, KH are all consistent with the initial water put in the tank.
I'm 11 days into my cycle now and are seeing really good nitrite levels as the ammonia drops.

If I were going to have issues with it, I'm sure I would see it by now.
Leeatl likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it has been proven over and over again that BDBS is ok for our use , and as inert as any substrate can be....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode