So I stuffed up... ADA Amazonia soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy So I stuffed up... ADA Amazonia soil

Long story short.

Re-running this tank that had 1.5 years of ADA Amazonia in it.

I cleaned out the tank and out of habit from my goldfish keeping days, rinsed the soil only to find out after you’re not supposed to.

Now do I...

Add another layer of Amazonia on top

Scrap the entire 5 bags of Amazonia and buy the soil again. Hard lesson learnt

Just keep doing 80% water changes til it clears up.

I've thus far done, a 100% water change as I had thought I may have filled tank too quickly.
Had the filter on for 24hrs however have now switched it off. Should I be keeping the filter on?

Any help for this noob would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	888025  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow, that is an impressive mess from ADA substrate!

So likely what we are seeing is the breakdown of the aquasoil brought on by the previous 1.5 years of use and then the washing. I am honestly still surprised by how much it broke down. It has been reported that this kind of thing is possible but I think you are the first to put a picture up of the result.

Anyway I would treat it just like a new tank with a less 'clean' substrate. You should just put a bunch of filter floss in your filter (10 dollar quilt batting from walmart or a craft store works great for this) and change it out every day or so. Then run your filter. Should settle down in a week. Large water changes and refilling SLOWLY (with something on the substrate like a large wad of bubble wrap) will dramatically help this situation but of course requires more work on your part. So just depends on your time availability.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

START OVER!!!

AS is soil granulated, now you have jut mud. Of course it broke down once it was washed. You will have a host of issues to overcome if you keep it. Really not worth it. I guess you could just cap it with sand, but I would start fresh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:17 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Broke down because of rinsing/washing for sure. I've had Amazonia tanks running for years that don't break down but the agitation and rinsing certainly did the trick. It's little balls of dirt and clay and as you now know? Not supposed to rinse that sort of thing.

You don't necessarily have to toss it. Let things settle. Some of what you have in there may be useful and it may be possible just to add a layer of Amazonia on top of it. Or even a layer of sand if you want to treat it as a dirted tank.

All depends upon what you plan to keep, though. Shrimp that require buffered water? Start over completely. Just everyday aquarium critters? Maybe a layer of sand.

If it were me? I'd pull everything out and start completely over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys!

I did another 100% water change to see if it was just me not filling it correctly and it was still a mess.
Decided on getting a bag of amazonia and starting over since I am going for a shrimp + HC tank

Now the question is... Amazonia vs Amazonia II

I think with my scarring experience Amazonia II would be the better choice of the two due to the less likely to cloud.
Also for a 40x40x40cm tank / 64L, will one bag suffice?

Thanks again guys!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Go with Amazonia. It'll provide all the ammonia you need for cycling. It won't be cloudy if you're careful.

Amazonia II won't provide as much in terms of nutrients for your plants.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
For $250 worth of soil, tossing it would be a waste. Try capping it with sand or gravel and see how that goes. You'll still have the benefits of the soil, but it will only make a mess if you uproot things often, which you can mitigate by doing water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode