shultz aquatic plant soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
shultz aquatic plant soil

has anyone tried this? im not interested in making MTS. will this have nutrients in it? or will i still need to use root tabs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
It's a fired clay product. Very similar to Turface or the old SMS.
Color in the bag can be discouraging. ;-) Wet, it looks good.
Cation exchange is essentially the same as any other fired clay product.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

whats cation exchange? would i still need to put in root tabs?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've used it. I works pretty well. Yes you'll need root tabs but you don't have to. It's orange in color so use it if you don't mind the color.

YOu can google cation and get a deeper explanation but it how the soil take in nutrients and make it available for plant roots.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

does it work good for you? i have read some good reports and some bad. whats your personal preference? the other option for me would be to get miracle grow organic capped with PFS. but i dont like the algae PFS gets

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Worked fine for me in my first grow-out tank. I thought it was ugly wet or dry.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using it too, as for plant growth I can say my pfs grows plants faster imo, but I got it because it lowers the ph and kh, I first tested it out on a 10g tank and I dump about 3/4 of the bag in it, checked the ph and kh a week later and it was 6.0ph and 0 kh my tap water is 7.6 ph

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

why do you think the PFS works better? the only thing i dont like about PFS is the fact that i need root tabs ( but i guess ill need them with this too??) and the algae. the algae is the worst.... i have root tabs i can put in, but id rather not.

are you sure it lowers the pH and kH? because that might actually be beneficial for what i want

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I used it mixed with regular natural colored river rock and it grew plants fine. I had osmocote under it, and I eventually re-upped with Root Medics root tabs before I tore it down for a new scape. It grew a thick carpet of lilaopsis braziliensis on it before it came down.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have it in my 100 gallon tank and it is 10 years old now. Originally I topped it with dark gravel from a previous tank and the mixture looks nice now. I hated the color at first under 5500 or 6500K lights but under 8000K metal halide it is a nice tan color - just look at my tank journal photos. It is light weight and was a challenge to plant at first but I am doing better now, the forceps are better than fingers for planting Marsilea and DHG. No plans to change to something more expensive at this point. Any algal issues I can blame on CO2 and nutrients rather than the substrate as I learned what little I know during the past 10 years on this tank. The stuff I have hasn't broken down over time.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

interesting chad. i was thinking of doing osmocote on the bottom at first, and then putting root tabs in later.

i just found that the PFS gets algae on it. i dont think the PFS is the cause, i blame it on imbalance, but the PFS is somewhere that the algae attaches, and its ugly IMO when it has algae

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
why do you think the PFS works better? the only thing i dont like about PFS is the fact that i need root tabs ( but i guess ill need them with this too??) and the algae. the algae is the worst.... i have root tabs i can put in, but id rather not.

are you sure it lowers the pH and kH? because that might actually be beneficial for what i want
It lowers KH, but only temporarily. The HIGH cec strips the KH from the water, but eventually it is built up and will not do this anymore.

It has zero nutrients in it to start, so it is no better than pfs in that sense.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

would it be bad then, because the kH is low to begin with then gets higher with time? because im planning ( probably) on doing an amazon biotope for GBRs and im a little worried ( havent gotten my gH and kH tests yet ) that the kH will be to high. would it be harmful to the fish if the kH goes up with time?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for all your help! I think
I'm going to go this route. I was gonna use it as a cap for MG organic. But I recently have been told that MG organic will decompose after a while and make the water toxic. Possibly. So I don't wanna chance that

You can call me Bob

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Why don't you just use EcoComplete? It will nurish your plants for the 1st year w/out root tabs. If I had the money when I stated my NPT I would of just used EcoComplete. The silica in the pool filter sand is what causes algae problems BTW.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode