Planted Substrate Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Substrate Question

I've been slowly assembling all the parts for a high tech planted 29 gallon tank and I'm days away from being able to start picking out the hardscape but first I need some input around substrate. I've done a number of different planted tanks in the past and they were all low tech. My thoughts are to use ADA Amazonia II, to build up the rear of the tank I'll be using lava rocks in mesh bags and using the Amazonia over it. At first I was considering the power sand as the base layer and the ADA additives over that before the Amazonia II but it seems most people are either 100% one way or the other. With the footprint being so small the power sand doesnt seem to be a big deal and the additives I'm still not sure about.

The question I have about the Powersand is the big selling point is water flow through that layer of the substrate. I could use some leftover ecocomplete I can use in place of the powersand that I would think allows for the same time of water flow. I know I'm probably overthinking this but I'd really like to get this right the first time.

Now the additives, is there any sense in them, some or all? The iron seemed to be the one that I thought about the most as I'd really like to add some red plants and it seems like its a great way to make sure the substrate can support their needs in the long term.

Appreciate any input that might help me get over this last hurdle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Power sand is not there to build up depth but to add more nutrients to the aquasoils over a longer term. If planning to dose a fertilizer that provides macros and micros it is not especially needed. You should be using very little of it if you do use it.

As for fertilizer. Thrive is quite popular right now. You should plan on dosing something but I would not dose iron. Your soil has iron already in it. Strong light will play a bigger role in making your plants red. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Apparently I didnt read about Power Sand enough, I think I'm going to try it in this new setup. Here's a question about how to apply it though, if I'm building some height using lava stone should i put the PS down first on the very bottom of the tank and lay the lava roc k over it or should I build up the lava rock then sprinkle the PS on top of the media bags I'm storing it before covering in Amazonia?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatpreludeguy View Post
Apparently I didnt read about Power Sand enough, I think I'm going to try it in this new setup. Here's a question about how to apply it though, if I'm building some height using lava stone should i put the PS down first on the very bottom of the tank and lay the lava roc k over it or should I build up the lava rock then sprinkle the PS on top of the media bags I'm storing it before covering in Amazonia?
The answer to this question is variable. The power sand should not come in contact with the water column directly. So if using little Amazonia then put it under the lava rock. If using a LOT of Amazonia then it's safe to put it ontop of the lava roc. With the understanding that it will fall down in the cracks if put ontop.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode