CaribSea Super Naturals ..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
CaribSea Super Naturals .....

has anyone tried this for a planted tank? how well does it work? I would go with a tan-ish color for a 29 gallon.

if not this sand what other should I do? Pool Filter Sand? (where can I get it in Winter-ish time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
That's what I use! The Tahitian moon black sand specifically, I love it. About to go buy another bag today after work actually for my 5gal ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yay! I was hoping this would work! Im so excited to set up my 29G but im gonna take longer on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
That's what I use! The Tahitian moon black sand specifically, I love it. About to go buy another bag today after work actually for my 5gal ^^

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
There should be pool stores that stay open year-round - there are indoor pools. And they should have filter sand in stock, though they'll be able to order it for you quickly if not.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Carib sea Super Natural sbustrates are great but they are inert. I use them as top dressing over MS on all my planted tanks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MS? oh and would sand from home depot work? I got a 50lbs bag (enough for 29g planted tank?) for like $4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Carib sea Super Natural sbustrates are great but they are inert. I use them as top dressing over MS on all my planted tanks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
One complaint about the Carib Sea...It is such a fine sand that it is almost like dust in your tank, but other than that it has a very nice color. I have removed my sand and put in some Monterey sand which is a bit larger than your avg sand but it is round and smooth. I think it holds plants down better, but that is me. It is really about what you think looks good since that is its main purpose.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
One complaint about the Carib Sea...It is such a fine sand that it is almost like dust in your tank, but other than that it has a very nice color. I have removed my sand and put in some Monterey sand which is a bit larger than your avg sand but it is round and smooth. I think it holds plants down better, but that is me. It is really about what you think looks good since that is its main purpose.
I had to turn down my red sea nano filter's flow on my 2.5g since it was creating a "crater" in the sand underneath the outflow. It probably is more cost effective to get pool filter sand for a 29g, although it might not be the color that you want.

If you go with the Caribsea, getting it in tan is a good idea. I got the white which looked fantastic when I first put it in (looked like fresh snow), but it quickly became beige from all the poop being easily exposed.

As with all sands, watch out for anaerobic gas pockets. Get a couple of Malaysian Trumpet Snails should help turnover the sand.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The black sand is nice as most things like poop don't show up really, the other benefit to CaribSea over pool filter sand is that some of the super naturals line, like the tahitian moon for instance, come preloaded with live bacteria and will help instantly cycle the tank. PFS won't do that at all.

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have the Natural colored gravel in my 10g and I love it. The stones are small and make it very easy to plant. I fertilize using root tabs though because it is inert substrate.

Be sure to rinse it before putting it in your tank. Just like many substrates it is a bit dusty and will cloud water at first.

I'm going to be setting up a 5 gallon using soil with this stuff as a cap.

Here is a photo of my tank with the Super Naturals Substrate (I'm not sure which style).

I didn't have a plan when I made this tank so don't look at the aquascaping, more the plant growth. I have a 10 watt flourescent strip in the hood and the plants growing great. I recommend this substrate.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
The black sand is nice as most things like poop don't show up really, the other benefit to CaribSea over pool filter sand is that some of the super naturals line, like the tahitian moon for instance, come preloaded with live bacteria and will help instantly cycle the tank. PFS won't do that at all.
I believe the OP is refering to the Super Naturals product line which does not have "cycling bacteria". That would be the Instant Aquarium series. By volume, you lose about a third of the bag to water compared to the Super Natural line.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the super naturals inert line. Love it, that black moon sand is Super pretty! My plants are doing great!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I believe the OP is refering to the Super Naturals product line which does not have "cycling bacteria". That would be the Instant Aquarium series. By volume, you lose about a third of the bag to water compared to the Super Natural line.
If you check their site, you'll clearly Some of the super naturals line ARE the instant aquarium series, like the Tahitian Moon Sand, there's others too

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank VIP

You misunderstand. The Super Naturals IS what is asked about in the original post. Not the instant aquarium series which has the mystery juice. You brought up the mystery juice "stuff" and that has no relevance on what the thread author is asking.

BTW, I have used both series and yes, their is cross matching of materials in both product lines.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode