This potting soil GOOD/OKAY?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This potting soil GOOD/OKAY??

I can’t find the yellow bag of the miracle gro anywhere anymore. I don’t know if they discontinued them, changed the bag, or I just can’t find them by me but is this miracle gro okay.

The supposive ingredients in back say alfalfa meal, bone meal, earthworm castings and kelp meal.

Total Nitrogen 0.15%
0.10% ammonical nitrogen
0.047% other water soluble nitrogen
0.093% water insoluble nitrogen
Available phosphate 0.13%
Soluble potash 0.15%
Calcium 0.03%

Derived from poultry litter, alfalfa meal, bone meal, kelp meal, and earthworm castings.

(Here’s where idk)
Formulated with sphagnum peat moss, processed forest products, coir, perlite, organic fertilizer and yucca.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I’m aware of peat moss lowering PH but not sure ab the rest.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

I am setting up a tank right now using the natures care garden soil. I will say my main issue with it thus far is that when I added water to pre-soak it about 80% of it floated. This just meant I needed to sift a LOT more of it, but be aware that most of your bag of soil will be bark and leaves.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You used that bag? And did the water ever clear up ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yeah, sifting soil can take quite a lot of time. I probably spend 30 minutes for about a gallon of soil, going thru it again and again.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
So semi off topic but I've used Miracle gro raised bed soil for my tank. It's been pretty good so far. Sifting through is a semi pain, just like @Streetwise said. But just take your time and I suggest to presoak your sifted soil ahead of time.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 09-25-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Image didnt work.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't bother pre-soaking anymore. I found it more troublesome than just super-sorting, capping, and careful filling. I'll usually pour water onto a foam filter pad in the tank to be gentle.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I don't bother pre-soaking anymore.
You rebel.

Really a preference for OP. Pre-soaking can,but not permanently, eliminate some air bubbles. In the end, you will get air pockets underneath from bacteria doing its thing in the soil. It's inevitable and you will need a long skewer or chopstick to poke your substrate to release the gas trapped underneath.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ22 View Post
You used that bag? And did the water ever clear up ?
So I have it in a quarantine tank I just setup last night and I am planning on putting it in a proper Walstad tank in the near future. The quarantine tank does not have much soil in it. Probably about 2 cups of soil for a 40 gallon breeder. It then has 1 inch of pool filter sand / safe-t-sorb in a 50/50 mix. Most of the Safe-t-sorb is underneath the pool filter sand but some has already been mixed up to the surface. My water is relatively clear less then 24 hours later (about as clear as I would expect any pool filter sand tank to be less then 24 hours after setup).

The other tank I will be setting up in the near future is going to have about 1/2 inch of soil on the bottom with a similar mix of safe-t-sorb and sand on top. I am doing a very thorough pre-soak of the dirt first. I have the dirt in a 5 gallon bucket just by itself right now with water filled up almost to the brim. Every day I am dumping 80% of the water out and refilling. At this point the dirt "settles" to the bottom of the bucket in a few hours and its just barely clear enough that I can see the bottom when looking in from the top. I have been doing this for about 1 week now. It will be substantially better once its in a tank with an actual cap on it of course.
Streetwise likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Don't you feel like you are giving away nutrients every time you dump water from that bucket? I sort-of think of soil like a big rechargeable battery, so I don't want to give away any of that battery power except to my plants.
Econde likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

For my latest dirting endeavor, I used the MG Performance Organics in-ground soil. Sifted out the sticks, didn't soak, and capped with PFS. So far so good, however I don't see why your choice wouldn't work either.

To sift, I used one of those screen lids you get for fish tanks, to convert them to reptile tanks, from Petco. The mesh was the perfect size to get the sticks out but save the soil.
Econde likes this.

|
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Don't you feel like you are giving away nutrients every time you dump water from that bucket? I sort-of think of soil like a big rechargeable battery, so I don't want to give away any of that battery power except to my plants.
This is true. I soaked mine but did not rinse. So the water went in the tank as well. Really it was just enough water to make it a little wetter then mud.

Quote:
For my latest dirting endeavor, I used the MG Performance Organics in-ground soil. Sifted out the sticks, didn't soak, and capped with PFS. So far so good, however I don't see why your choice wouldn't work either.

To sift, I used one of those screen lids you get for fish tanks, to convert them to reptile tanks, from Petco. The mesh was the perfect size to get the sticks out but save the soil.
I used a dollar store oil splatter guard. Really fine mesh. Took quite a bit longer to sift through, but ended up with very fine soil and no sticks. Even found some magnet bits, glass shards and some metallic pieces!

@ThomasJ22 will you be capping this? Are you going to try the Walstad method?
varanidguy and Streetwise like this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

No. Perlite will make it float even if you sift.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I am definitely getting rid of nutrients with each water change, that is actually the reason I am doing the water changes. Its a black box situation (meaning we don't really know how much nutrients we have in soil, how much is leeching out, and how much our plants actually need) so I can't know if what I am doing is 'correct'. My theory is that there is SO MUCH nutrients in soil that a lot of problems are caused in the first few weeks/months of a new dirt tank due to all the nutrients leeching into the water. We cap the dirt to stop or slow that leech as much as possible, but it still gets out. So I am leeching my soil of excess nutrients now when its in a bucket I don't care about so hopefully I won't have problems once its in a no filter, no equipment whatsoever Walstad tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

I look forward to seeing it come together!

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode