• 4 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 3 Post By dstevenson2k
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
BDBS raising KH very high

So I picked up some BDBS at my Tractor Supply store and used it to set up a new tank. Washed it in buckets in the tub till water ran clear then transferred to tank. First day clear, second day the water was like milk and I bought a Magnum Polishing filter to clean it up.

Once the water cleared I noticed my plants were growing stunted and twisted when they were fine in the previous tank. Check the KH a day after a 50% water change and it is at 10, while my tap water is at 3. Only thing I can think of is the sand.

Did I buy the wrong stuff? Why would my KH be rising so rapidly? The picture is the bag I bought and I notice it's a little different than other bags I've seen online, it doesn't say low silica or have a big diamond on the front. Also there's little chunks of brown/copperish material throughout the sand as opposed to straight black.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_100249_1567432979114.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	886453  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
That bag is the right stuff.

What else is in your tank that could be dissolving. Stone/Rock ???
The coal slag is inert and I've never had it raise KH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Actually there are a few small rocks holding down my driftwood until it's water logged. I don't know what type of stone, just grabbed them outside somewhere, but that might be it.

Totally overlooked those, and glad I have confirmation I bought the right stuff. I'll try removing the rocks and see how things go from there.

So I'm a derp. Removed the stones and they have some rust spots on them. Spot treated with HCl and they fizzle like crazy. Found my problem, check your stones before you use them people.

Thank you Maryland Guppy for the confirmation on the correct sand. Was getting angry thinking about having to do a tear down over the wrong stuff.
Maryland Guppy, Econde and evil8 like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-03-2019 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson2k View Post
Actually there are a few small rocks holding down my driftwood until it's water logged. I don't know what type of stone, just grabbed them outside somewhere, but that might be it.

Totally overlooked those, and glad I have confirmation I bought the right stuff. I'll try removing the rocks and see how things go from there.

So I'm a derp. Removed the stones and they have some rust spots on them. Spot treated with HCl and they fizzle like crazy. Found my problem, check your stones before you use them people.

Thank you Maryland Guppy for the confirmation on the correct sand. Was getting angry thinking about having to do a tear down over the wrong stuff.
A little late to post, but I noticed some rust spots as well after washing/leaving out decor stones to dry.. Rust is bad obviously, but what did you treat your rocks with? when would they be ok to put back in tank? Does this remedy the entire problem or is it a temporary treatment in which the stones would later be replaced anyhow?

Also did you get the fine grit or medium grit BDBS?

Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanse27 View Post
A little late to post, but I noticed some rust spots as well after washing/leaving out decor stones to dry.. Rust is bad obviously, but what did you treat your rocks with? when would they be ok to put back in tank? Does this remedy the entire problem or is it a temporary treatment in which the stones would later be replaced anyhow?

Also did you get the fine grit or medium grit BDBS?

Thanks!
That person didnt treat the stones with anything, they tested (vinegar is one way, guess HCI is another) them and once identified they were not good to be in the aquarium took them out permanently. There is no way I know of except maybe sealing them somehow to use stones that are leaching into the water. They will continue to do so.

Find other rocks to use.
Chanse27 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
but what did you treat your rocks with?
You cannot treat the rock. All you can do is isolate the rock from the water by either by coating the rock with an epoxy coating or by simply removing the rock.

His rocks were likely limestone (Calcium carbonate). At a PH above 7 it does not dissolve in water. But if the water is acidic it will dissolve and cause GH and or KH to increase. Any aquarium with a Co2 injection system will have slightly acidic water. putting an acid on the rock such as vinegar will cause a chemical reaction that creates CO2. This will cause the rock to fizzle Most sedimentary rocks will cause a GH or KH shift in aquariums. Granite or volcanic rocks are less likely to cause the GH and KH to shift since any calcium or magnesium in the rock is locked into the silica matrix of the rock. The Silica matrix will act like epoxy separating the calcium and magnesium from the water.

The black diamond blasting sand didn't cause the GH KH shift because it is mostly silica with very little to no calcium or magnesium in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode