• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By ntdsc
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 1 Post By Econde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Miracle-Gro Raise Bed soil (100% Organic)

Anyone tried using this in a Walstad tank? I have already set my tank up with it and was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.

On a side note, It takes a long time to sift through and I found some glass shards in my bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have used Miracle Grow Organic in a tank but no longer recall if it was the raised bed type. Every dirtied tank I have ever set up gave me headaches either during the first few months or later down the road and I doubt I'll ever go that route again. My basic takeaway from having messed up a few of them is this: a little goes a long way. Like just enough to cover the bottom of the tank is adequate. More than 1/4" or so and vacuuming the substrate becomes very difficult.

Like you said, it needs to be sifted and sorted through. Haven't run across glass yet but I've found plastic shards, twigs and other assorted trash mixed in. Also a good idea to soak it and skim off anything that floats.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I had a hell of a time trying to find useable organic potting soil. If you look at the product label through their website, its stated as "premium potting soil."

It's not to bad sifting through. I went to the dollar store and bought the oil fry splatter guard, aka framed metal screen. That's what I used to sift through.

It's been less then a week and some of the plants I got have melted. Others have taken off and significant growth can be seen. Still to early to tell.

So I decided to contact Miracle-Gro about the foreign objects in their bag. I've attached their response. Mind you, I didn't complain to them to get money/compensation, I was merely informing them about what I came across.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	885821  

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-22-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it would work if you add a lot of leaves on top of it. Not sure if miracle grow has clay in it, which you would want, and does it have enough sand? I had the idea you could put a fine net over the leaves, weighed down in the corners, if the worry is that you couldn't find a dead fish that floats deep into the leaves. I think it would only work though with rainwater, as city water has chemicals used to reduce cloudiness, the city water in my tank turns to bacteria much faster than rainwater, almost immediately. I would have a bubbler, and a wavemaker with dimmer switch to not kill the plants, the wavemaker used occasionally. A deeper tank you could have if you use a filter that has a long tube that goes all the way down to the bottom to circulate the water.
Econde likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh I've capped it with black diamond blasting sand. It's in the process of cycling as we speak.

Bump:
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Awesome, look forward to seeing your progress! Any interest in starting a journal? How thick did you go with the soil? Apologies if I seemed anti-soil, I'm positive it can have benefit -just set a lot of tanks up opening a store and wanted to caution against using too much -which was my experience.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Awesome, look forward to seeing your progress! Any interest in starting a journal? How thick did you go with the soil? Apologies if I seemed anti-soil, I'm positive it can have benefit -just set a lot of tanks up opening a store and wanted to caution against using too much -which was my experience.
I really should start a Journal. I went a little over an inch on the soil and about another inch on the sand. I actually soaked the soil in the bottom of the tank for about 3-4 days prior to capping it. This is my first real walstad tank. Just a cheapo cannister filter, Hydor inline heater and a light.

I'm fairly proud of what I have done so far. The tank is assembled by me and I also built the stand as well. The rocks are from my old 10 gallon and the plants I purchased from a seller here. There are a bunch of plants that have melted and a lot that have bounced back. I'm not going to stress over this since it took me about 3-4 months to gather everything.
@Blue Ridge Reef - Thank you. I just made a journal! haha. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ad-method.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190817_072458.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	885865  

Name:	20190821_053908.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	885867  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 08-22-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Link added

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode