New to planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting to a forum about this. I'm just trying to make sure I'm as informed as possible.
So I have a 150 gal tank, dimensions are 63"x22"x26" with an overflow on the left side. I recently purchased 2 xr15 lights and am unsure about substrate. Currently in this tank, I have medium grained black sand. Now I've heard mixed reviews on how sand works for planted tanks.. and I'm not sure what to think. From what I understand, I won't be able to grow carpet plants; I'll need to stick to mainly water column feeders and dose ferts, and the substrate feeders that I do get, I'll need root tabs for that I'll have to put out every 3 months or so.. is this about right? It doesn't sound like having sand will be that difficult.. or would I be better off switching it all out with some actual plant growing substrate? Looking for opinions, personal experiences, any input on this matter. This is going to be a fahaka pufferfish tank, with a couple of bigger SA cichlids living with him.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon0228 View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting to a forum about this. I'm just trying to make sure I'm as informed as possible.
So I have a 150 gal tank, dimensions are 63"x22"x26" with an overflow on the left side. I recently purchased 2 xr15 lights and am unsure about substrate. Currently in this tank, I have medium grained black sand. Now I've heard mixed reviews on how sand works for planted tanks.. and I'm not sure what to think. From what I understand, I won't be able to grow carpet plants; I'll need to stick to mainly water column feeders and dose ferts, and the substrate feeders that I do get, I'll need root tabs for that I'll have to put out every 3 months or so.. is this about right? It doesn't sound like having sand will be that difficult.. or would I be better off switching it all out with some actual plant growing substrate? Looking for opinions, personal experiences, any input on this matter. This is going to be a fahaka pufferfish tank, with a couple of bigger SA cichlids living with him.
TIA

Welcome! Planted tanks are a lot of fun and (in my opinion) aesthetically wonderful. It's a fun dimension to the hobby.

So a few things. First inert substrates are just fine, you can grow any plant you want in an inert substrate. Sand is also just fine and works great. You will definitely be dosing fertilizers but in pretty much any planted tank that is going to be around longer then a few months you will need to dose fertilizers to get the best out of your plants. What you dose and how much depends a lot about what you have in your tank etc.

Regarding your particular situation, you will want to be careful choosing your plant selection. I am unclear about the habits of that puffer but I know he gets pretty big. I have seen recorded feedings of them eating clams. Additionally a LOT of large cichlids are straight up not plant friendly and will either eat or uproot anything in your tank. Whether you can have a carpet with those fish is a giant question mark. I would lean towards no if you plan to feed your puffer clams like I have seen on youtube. The crunched up shells go everywhere which would be a nightmare trying to pick out of a carpet.

Other types of plants are very possible if your cichlids are plant friendly.

I am not familiar with the lights you mention. A google search showed lights geared towards saltwater.

This would lend me to believe you are planning on high light which would typically require pressurized co2. Whether you use CO2 or not will also determine what plants you can grow.

You can use root tabs for fertilizing some of your plants but its not required. Dosing the water will get ferts to the roots buried in substrate as well.

Tags
planted 150 gallon, question, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode