• 2 Post By nicoleah
  • 1 Post By Desert Pupfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black lava rock

Hello all!

I wanted to get some opinions and maybe some shared experiences from people here. Iím planning out the scape for a 75 gallon, my idea is to have part of it dirted for plants (with a sand cap of course) and a big open swimming area with sand. I wanted to make a retaining wall or barrier of sorts out of black lava rock, however Iím unable to source decent sized rocks (2Ē or larger) for a decent price.

Would it be viable to use the bagged rocks that the big box places sell for landscaping/fire pits to build up that barrier?

Also, would it cause potential issues to use a thin layer of it under the dirt to build up that section to create an elevated contrast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Hello all!

I wanted to get some opinions and maybe some shared experiences from people here. Iím planning out the scape for a 75 gallon, my idea is to have part of it dirted for plants (with a sand cap of course) and a big open swimming area with sand. I wanted to make a retaining wall or barrier of sorts out of black lava rock, however Iím unable to source decent sized rocks (2Ē or larger) for a decent price.

Would it be viable to use the bagged rocks that the big box places sell for landscaping/fire pits to build up that barrier?

Also, would it cause potential issues to use a thin layer of it under the dirt to build up that section to create an elevated contrast?

So I had the exact same thread started a while ago. What I learned from hopelessly trying to track down some cheap and relatively large pieces of black lava rock was that where I am located, a big box store was the only option. That or a ridiculous amount of money from an aquascaping online store. So, my advice to you is to really really look for a rock yard/landscaping company around you and check if they have the stones in bulk (I found one that carried enormous pieces of Red Lava rock...damn) but you may have better luck, I know you will most likely have more available on that side of the country. Otherwise, the option to buy 10lb bags online of the XXL fire pit black lava rock is fine, this is what I got and have had no issues.

Yes you could use the rock to build up a hill, but in my honest opinion this should only be done if you aren't paying a premium price for the rock. Maybe back up some smaller pieces in a stocking or something? There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to create slopes, many on here as well.

Good luck in your searches!!!
varanidguy likes this.

|
|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
So I had the exact same thread started a while ago. What I learned from hopelessly trying to track down some cheap and relatively large pieces of black lava rock was that where I am located, a big box store was the only option. That or a ridiculous amount of money from an aquascaping online store. So, my advice to you is to really really look for a rock yard/landscaping company around you and check if they have the stones in bulk (I found one that carried enormous pieces of Red Lava rock...damn) but you may have better luck, I know you will most likely have more available on that side of the country. Otherwise, the option to buy 10lb bags online of the XXL fire pit black lava rock is fine, this is what I got and have had no issues.

Yes you could use the rock to build up a hill, but in my honest opinion this should only be done if you aren't paying a premium price for the rock. Maybe back up some smaller pieces in a stocking or something? There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to create slopes, many on here as well.

Good luck in your searches!!!
Thank you for the feedback! Purchasing the XL/XXL rock won't be within my budget. Here's a picture of what I want to do. The part with the plants won't be a slope, just a higher elevation, if that makes any sense.

The black part is where I'd like the plants to be, and the curved border is where the barrier of lava rock will exist to hold in the soil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75g.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	885513  

|

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most of what you want is available from landscaping or fire pit co, problem is you have to buy probably a 10lb bag of it, so you can figure $25+- to get what you want, maybe more than likely for size your doing will probably take 2 bags. Iíd buy the 1/4Ē for filling in around big stones to do buildup, itís a bit cheaper than large stones.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Most of what you want is available from landscaping or fire pit co, problem is you have to buy probably a 10lb bag of it, so you can figure $25+- to get what you want, maybe more than likely for size your doing will probably take 2 bags. Iíd buy the 1/4Ē for filling in around big stones to do buildup, itís a bit cheaper than large stones.

This was my thought as well. Bagged prices donít seem to differ from the orange place vs others. Loose prices are way cheaper per pound but Iíd be required to purchase by the scoop...donít need that much, or anywhere near. lol

|
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
This was my thought as well. Bagged prices donít seem to differ from the orange place vs others. Loose prices are way cheaper per pound but Iíd be required to purchase by the scoop...donít need that much, or anywhere near. lol
"the orange place" lol

I've been shopping black lava rock as well! HD has the XXL for about $29 but Amazon currently has the same for $18, going to try my luck with that. I have a 72 gallon bow front build in the works and am using drainage crate (flo-cells) to raise up my hardscape instead of filled media bags (I'm concerned about the bags eventually breaking open.)
varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19

2 x Radion XR30 Gen3 Pro - VorTech MP10 & MP40 - 20 gallon high sump with LifeReef overflow & DIY trickle filter - CO2 added 12/19

I am a former reef tank keeper who went freshwater planted only in 2017 - nicoleah218 on Instagram
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That should be viable. IN fact some plants may root directly onto the fabric. Or you could glue a number of smaller stones together.

Bump:
Quote:
That should be viable. IN fact some plants may root directly onto the fabric. Or you could glue a number of smaller stones together.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post
"the orange place" lol

I've been shopping black lava rock as well! HD has the XXL for about $29 but Amazon currently has the same for $18, going to try my luck with that. I have a 72 gallon bow front build in the works and am using drainage crate (flo-cells) to raise up my hardscape instead of filled media bags (I'm concerned about the bags eventually breaking open.)

Awesome! Iíd love to see how they turn out!

|
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:11 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
"the orange place" lol

Where did you find flo-cells? I have been looking everywhere and not been able to source them. I'm in Las Vegas.

10 G / 20 G long, low-tech planted / 125 G, working on the aquascape and collecting hardware
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Small update, I went with a similar but different design, however even the smaller sized lava rock has been great at acting as a barrier for the soil.

|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Where did you find flo-cells? I have been looking everywhere and not been able to source them. I'm in Las Vegas.

I had to contact the manufacturer (Contact Us - Atlantis America) and they emailed me information for the nearest supplier, Exeter Supply Co, in Reading, PA (I'm in St. Louis.) Luckily the company has sold the drainage cells to others for this exact purpose, so they were great to deal with for even this small quantity.
varanidguy and Patric like this.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19

2 x Radion XR30 Gen3 Pro - VorTech MP10 & MP40 - 20 gallon high sump with LifeReef overflow & DIY trickle filter - CO2 added 12/19

I am a former reef tank keeper who went freshwater planted only in 2017 - nicoleah218 on Instagram
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I had to contact the manufacturer (Contact Us - Atlantis America) and they emailed me information for the nearest supplier, Exeter Supply Co, in Reading, PA (I'm in St. Louis.) Luckily the company has sold the drainage cells to others for this exact purpose, so they were great to deal with for even this small quantity.
Thank you for your reply. Will email them now.

10 G / 20 G long, low-tech planted / 125 G, working on the aquascape and collecting hardware
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just came across this thread. The Mojave high desert has lots of cinder cones that are basically low mountains of lava rock. There are some along the 247 near Landers, Pipes Canyon, etc. Likely there are some closer to you up in Apple Valley as well. I've seen black lava rocks & boulders just bulldozed along the side of the road, so if you can find the right area, they'd be there for the picking....

I've gotten scavenged small lava rocks for attaching java fern & moss to. They make good pumice stones too . And while you're poking around the desert, you'll likely come across lots of cholla like they sell at fancy LFS & aquascaping sites.

Happy hunting!
varanidguy likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Just came across this thread. The Mojave high desert has lots of cinder cones that are basically low mountains of lava rock. There are some along the 247 near Landers, Pipes Canyon, etc. Likely there are some closer to you up in Apple Valley as well. I've seen black lava rocks & boulders just bulldozed along the side of the road, so if you can find the right area, they'd be there for the picking....

I've gotten scavenged small lava rocks for attaching java fern & moss to. They make good pumice stones too . And while you're poking around the desert, you'll likely come across lots of cholla like they sell at fancy LFS & aquascaping sites.

Happy hunting!
That's not a half bad idea. Thanks!

I also have a manzanita bush growing in my yard that I've been thinking about ripping out. I wonder if that could be dried out and treated for a tank...my neighbor protested, though. But she's a retired senior, doesn't like change. lol

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode