Soil with Tahitian Moon Rock cap? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soil with Tahitian Moon Rock cap?

So I'm planning my 29 planted and slowly piecing together the necessary equipment and I'm struggling with what substrate to use. In my planted 5 I'm using eco complete but almost all the plants in that tank take are pulling from the water column and I'm both dosing and using root tabs and no CO2 in that tank. My new tank will have CO2, plus the dosing and I'd like to carpet the floor (not sure which carpeting plants yet though) and in the past I had done soil with a fine gravel cap and had great success. I dont intend to move the plants around once the tank is established so I "think" that using soil with a black sand cap will do what I want but figured there would be some feedback here I could be missing. Also thinking about going with a dry start since I really want the carpet to be right as that's a look I love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lots of people use soil with an inert cap. It's perfectly valid way of growing plants. As for black sand, if you want something cheap then black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply is popular. Otherwise whatever a fish store sells works great as well.
varanidguy likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I second the black diamond as a substrate. My corydoras have had zero issues with it and have even spawned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 PM

Is that sand on top of aquasoil?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosienxn View Post

Yes, it was originally capped but through rescapes and what not, the aqua soil has come up.

|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

If it was my tank I wouldn't use soil. Your going to have to push pretty good light to the bottom for most carpets to grow really well. High light and soil don't play nice due to the large amount of organics in there and how easily they can be released into the WC. If your using co2, you could easily go inert like the BDBS mentioned or use aquasoil. A 29G is pretty tall. Tall tanks strong light for carpets. Not saying you can't do it, I just think you'll have less potential issues foregoing the soil IMO.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Actually,I just started a 29g with miracle grow under a bdbs cap,using a fluval fresh and plant 3.0 on the highest setting.It's only been 2 weeks,but no issues so far,and I've started some DHG,though it was in rough shape (no roots) out of a petsmart pack.We'll see what issues crop up I guess.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Quote:

Yes, it was originally capped but through rescapes and what not, the aqua soil has come up.

Cool!! I have been thinking about capping mine d/t dust and I really like how your pictures look. Any tips?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Cool!! I have been thinking about capping mine d/t dust and I really like how your pictures look. Any tips?
It's pretty straightforward. Just take your time and handle the soil appropriately. My root feeders have done very well with this method as well.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode