Substrate for a nano shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate for a nano shrimp tank

I'm new here and bought a used Dennelle 5gallon tank. I don't like the filter so I believe I have an external one picked out. But will use the light it comes with. I want a shrimp tank only, maybe a snail. Keeping it simple for a first time fresh water tank owner. I have done many salt water tanks so basics are there. What is recommended for substrate for shrimp? Need to figure out how to load photos on here as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Welcome to the forums. I use Imgur for photos. To your main question, that will depend on the type of shrimp you hope to get. Have you looked into varieties and do any in particular catch your eye? The two big ones* are Caridina/often called crystals or bees (softwater) and Neocaridina/ often called cherries (most any water). Both breed like cockroaches when conditions are right, Caridina in my experience are far more sensitive and difficult. Both have reds, blues, blacks, and more available, Caridina are the only ones with substantial white pigment. For a first shrimp to get familiar with keeping them, I would recommend Neos hands down. With either, they feed upon algae and biofilm largely. You barely even need to feed these creatures until the population grows out of hand. But because of their preferred diet, they do not have a good track record in newly set up tanks. I like to let tanks go for 2 months or so ideally before adding either kind of shrimp.

*Of course, there are also ghost, Amano and many other shrimp out there that typically aren't bred in the home aquarium, as well as some oddballs

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I really fell in love with the blue ones. Sorry that is all I know. Still learning about all the different shrimp out there. I did find the articles on here about the cherries and crystals. It would be nice to have 3 blue ones and 3 all red ones. I do have 5 white clouds in a frog tank that I might add but not all of them. Not sure how many I can add to such a small tank. For a fish tank I'm use to 180 gallon reef. I have no problems waiting on adding the shrimp as I know this is going to take a bit to learn first. I read a post on filter here and didn't like the fact that the one that came with the set up is inside the tank. Just takes up to much space. So I have it saved from Amazon as to what was recommended.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It sounds like Neocaridina shrimp (Cherries) will be the best place for you to start. Since that's likely the case, you'd want to stick with a single color because they will breed and become muddled.

You could start with 5-10 shrimp once your tank is cycled and mature enough for them. Could probably add more but they'll breed and you'll have a large population in no time regardless.

For substrate? Go with something inert like pool filter sand, Quikrete Medium Grade All Purpose sand, Caribsea Peace River, lava rock, whatever you prefer. Darker substrates will allow shrimp to appear more colorful.

Go fish-free in this tank. If it can fit in their mouth? It'll be a snack. Especially in a small tank and until you've got the hang of everything.

Do you know what your water parameters are?

kH
gH
pH (though this isn't too important - hardness/kH & gH - are what will matter more here)
temperature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I will have to get a test kit when I get that far. But I do remember testing when I had the salt water. Temp will be house temp normally around 74.Can't let it go to much higher with frogs. Is there any way not to have them breed. I don't need another breeding project and just want the look of the red and blue in the tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You cannot get them to not breed. They are very difficult to sex.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle
10 gallon species tank with 11 neon tetras

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

See my 75 gallon tank journal!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
74 is about as high as I would let it go with shrimp. Since you intentionally keep the tank cool, that'll be great for them.

There's not a way to stop Neocaridina from breeding. You could intentionally keep the same sex of both to stop breeding. But then your colonies will die out.

It's not tough to tell male and female shrimp apart - especially Neos. But there aren't many who'd sell you all males or all females at a price that would make it worthwhile.

My suggestion is to keep one color. Get really good at shrimping. And in the future, start up another tank of the other color you want. Or keep both Neos and Tigers in the same tank so you can have different colors. But don't try that until you consider you have a lot more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrogshrimp View Post
I will have to get a test kit when I get that far. But I do remember testing when I had the salt water. Temp will be house temp normally around 74.Can't let it go to much higher with frogs. Is there any way not to have them breed. I don't need another breeding project and just want the look of the red and blue in the tank.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode