Adding new sand to old - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding new sand to old

As the title says, a very quick question: I have some CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my tank currently; it's been in for at least 7 years with no issues, but I'd like to make it a little deeper, especially in one back corner.

Would there be any issues you can foresee with just adding more of the same from a new bag on top of the old? I'd be concerned about trapping any mulm in there, but then my sandbed is really not very deep anyway so this might be a nonissue. It's currently only an inch deep at the deepest points, I'd want to go up to ~2" or a little more if that wouldn't be an issue, to give my swords more rooting area.

My other thought would be to siphon the sand out from this corner - behind a driftwood retaining wall - and mix the old into the new before adding it back there.

The majority of the sandbed I'd not be disturbing, so I think from a bacteria/cycle perspective it shouldn't pose any problems.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which sand, if the really fine stuff that’s under 1mm I wouldn’t go over 2” max in just a small area. To prone to getting compacted. Torpedo beach and peace river are only 2 I’d take over 2” deep.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Which sand, if the really fine stuff that’s under 1mm I wouldn’t go over 2” max in just a small area. To prone to getting compacted. Torpedo beach and peace river are only 2 I’d take over 2” deep.

Thanks - that's good to know. I have sunset gold, I think it's called.
In that case, I might seriously consider UNS controsoil for that area only... I assume putting it in a bucket of water and testing for at least a few days would be enough to avoid any ammonia spike when I add it to the tank? Or does it spike again if disturbed?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big area you doing? This turface fine grade would probably work to do a build up in a area and just lay your SS gold back on top of it. It’s fine enough that it will pretty much keep sand at surface, if you do unearth some of it while digging it’s in same color hue so would look natural. Has a decent CEC value also so will hold nutrients for your plants

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like the idea of adding Turface under it to add bulk, or add larger rocks/gravel as a base and continue with the sand on top for height. Since you said it was to add rooting depth for your swords and knowing how "rooty" swords are, you'll have roots all through that sand in no time, so I wouldn't worry as much about compaction and anerobic conditions.

Tags
sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode