Substrate for a 93 gallon planted .need substrate advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Charliethetuna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone I am getting a 93 cube. To make a planted discus tank .I'm very confused on what substrate I should go with, I've been reading organic soil,fluval ,eco complete ,ada Amazon soil....then do I cap it with a gravel or a sand ? I will be running co2,and liquid fertilizer. I would like to go with a good substrate that will last long term .

Doing some more reading looks like grad 20 pool sand is the way to go for discus and plants ..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-30-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
What is "long term" to you? If you're looking at not breaking the tank down after a couple of years from a more active substrate (dirt, soil, ADA Aquasoil, Controsoil, Fluval Spectrum, etc.), I would recommend going with an inert substrate like sand, fine gravels, etc. (Yes your mileage will vary depending on substrate)

That would be different types of Sand, EcoComplete, CaribSea gravels, etc. Just choose your color. I wouldn't "cap" anything but active substrates (because you needed to keep it at the bottom of the tank), otherwise why would you cap it? By keeping it inert, you can use CO2 and liquid/solid ferts to keep plants healthy and aerate sand/gravel as needed without needing to break down the tank.

There's plenty of folks having success with their own method and recipe, so you can experiment if you want to do your own variation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you ever raised discus before? Experienced in fish-keeping?

Experienced in aquarium plants? Co2?

What size discus are you getting?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Have you ever raised discus before? Experienced in fish-keeping?

Experienced in aquarium plants? Co2?

What size discus are you getting?
...Someone is excited.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_a View Post
...Someone is excited.
Yes
May be a bit too ambitious if starting as new to discus-keeping ( maybe even fish-keeping?) and aquarium plants/co2.

Can be challenging enough to get to know one- and a disaster if having to learn all at the same time.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi yes I have kept fish my whole life I currently have a 58 gallon column with 2 discus in there and a few other smaller tetras .I'm not looking to breed discus although the ones I have do breed .. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank for them ,I have plants in the tank and dose liquid fertz and CO2..I'm asking because to be honest I'm a reef guy and getting into planted tanks again ..been in the hobby for over 30 years .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_a View Post
...Someone is excited. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:-)</a>
Yes <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>
May be a bit too ambitious if starting as new to discus-keeping ( maybe even fish-keeping?) and aquarium plants/co2.

Can be challenging enough to get to know one- and a disaster if having to learn all at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190705_185927_578_1565185334714.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	885187  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190606_055239_907_1565185357338.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	885189  

Econde and Discusluv like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode