Aqueon Shrimp and Plant substrate raising PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aqueon Shrimp and Plant substrate raising PH

I picked up one of the Aqueon kits for a small spot in the living room since the tank dimensions fit perfectly and used the included shrimp and plant substrate. Tested PH today an it was off the charts for my normal PH test. At least 7.6, but I think to get an accurate read I'd need to buy a high PH kit.

This is dumb but I already planted the tank. Should I yank it apart? I'm planning on using it for CRS.

All of my other tanks read around 6.6 PH.

Anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
What are the parameters of the water before you add it to the tank?

GH
KH
TDS

And what are they after it's been in the tank for several hours to a day?

Only break it down if you don't like that the substrate isn't buffering. My guess is that it's not buffering at all, increases KH or the water you're using already has a ton of KH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response
GH 5
KH 3
TDS 116

Itís RO water in the tank with salty shrimp added per directions in the bottle.
PH still 7.6 on a regular PH test, it may be higher, but I donít own a high range ph test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What are the parameters of the water before you add it to the tank?

GH
KH
TDS

And what are they after it's been in the tank for several hours to a day?

Only break it down if you don't like that the substrate isn't buffering. My guess is that it's not buffering at all, increases KH or the water you're using already has a ton of KH.
Bump: Iím considering adding Fluval Stratum to see if that will buffer it down some.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Are you certain that's the result the test kit is giving you? And are you certain the test kit is fresh/still functional?

If you have any doubt, pick up a new bottle of pH reagent.

Additionally - what kind of rocks or hardscape do you have in the tank? Any sand at all?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The PH test is fairly new, but I'll check the expiration date tonight, plus do another test. I found corroborating video on YouTube where a guy compares Fluval stratum and two types of ADA to the Aqueon. The Aqueon yanks his PH to 8.2, which is insane while the others buffer at below 7.
I don't have a high-range PH test, never needed it before, but I suspect I'm above 7.6 which is as high as the regular test kit goes.

It's crazy to me that Aqueon would sell something that's not at the very lest inert and market it as a 'shrimp and plant' substrate.
Youtube link:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aqueon Shrimp and Plant substrate raising PH

What does the reconstituted water test at when left to sit overnight outside the aquarium? At a KH of 3 you should be getting a pH of around 7.5. If you are seeing lower than this in your other tanks with the same KH there are other factors existing in those tanks lowering pH (co2 concentrations, nitric acid, or other acidic compounds). Unless thereís something else in the salty shrimp mix that lowers pH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yup, I just retested one of my tanks, an it's a solid 6.6 pH. I just retested the tank with the Aqueon substrate and it's at 7.6 or higher still.

Bump: I'll prep a batch and test it tomorrow. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarissaT View Post
What does the reconstituted water test at when left to sit overnight outside the aquarium? At a KH of 3 you should be getting a pH of around 7.5. If you are seeing lower than this in your other tanks with the same KH there are other factors existing in those tanks lowering pH (co2 concentrations, nitric acid, or other acidic compounds). Unless thereís something else in the salty shrimp mix that lowers pH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Wildly disappointing to hear a substrate is increasing your pH. Ouch. (other than Cichlid-specific in freshwater and marine substrates, I mean)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode