I'm an idiot -- ADA Aqua Soil help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm an idiot -- ADA Aqua Soil help

Soooooo, I did not realize that there was a difference between AS Amazonia original and Amazonia II. Figured II was just a newer version of same thing. (In my defense, my ADHD meds had run out).

Anyway, I bought 21 liters of the regular Amazonia that I started with, but decided I needed more -- so topped that with 6 liters of Amazonia II -- probably another 1 1/2 inches. I have plugs of HC that have been in there for 2 1/2 weeks and are doing ok, but I can see the difference in the plants planted on the part of the aquascape that did not get the AS AII top layer. The ones planted in the AS AII seem healthy, but are growing more vertical vs. creeping.

I am strongly considering pulling up the plugs of HC that I planted a few weeks ago, removing the AS AII, replacing with normal AS and replanting.

What do you guys think? Worth the trouble and expense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is up to you. As long as the plants are fine, you could leave it. It might look odd, so it is up to you. If you decide to re-do it, now's the time before the plans really root in.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle
10 gallon species tank with 11 neon tetras

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

See my 75 gallon tank journal!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would not pull it up, your splitting hairs with the Amazonia 1 and 2 combined. Both will grow HC just fine.

This might help. Go toward bottom where they compare 1 and 2 and 1 and 2 together.

Amazonia 1 and 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks so much for that link -- it speaks to exactly what I'm trying to decide. That has me thinking I'll just stay with it as is and work more on trimming and CO2 levels vs. new soil as I try and get it to spread.

Much appreciated!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad I could help. The II is fine, I've done many HC carpets with it. Even through there's less N in it, keep up with water changes, short light cycle and good co2.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
ADA's comments that regular AS can cause cloudy water and that AS II and AS Light will cause less potential clouding issues is a bit confusing to me. I guess if you don't follow the directions with water changes at the beginning and disturb it a lot you're water won't be so clear, but the clearest water I've ever had is when using AS, especially in the first few months. One of it's advertised properties is that it promotes clear water.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up doing a hybrid solution. I took out AS II where it seemed that growth was slower and that I wanted to alter the depth of soil anyway. Added new AS original in those areas and replanted.

I was surprised at how long the HC roots were from just 3 weeks in the AS II cap (1.5 in) with AS original below. I measured some at more than 1 inch long. I don't know if that is normal, but I was definitely surprised. Unsure how that compares to the root growth in the areas with AS original only, but it makes me feel much better about leaving the other areas with the AS II cap in place.

Last edited by harris611; 07-19-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode